Best Soundtracks Ever

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Technical disallow > Pacific Alternative

Jeff

I'm glad someone's awake. I was thinking of the music that is in the DVD ~ guess that doesn’t quite qualify.
Well at least I wasn’t off beam enough to nominate “The Song Remains the Same”.

Ok, to show strength in diversity (way better than most things out of New Zealand) mmm:

South Pacific eg

We got sunlight on the sand,
We got moonlight on the sea,
We got mangoes and bananas
You can pick right off the tree,
We got volleyball and ping-pong
And a lot of dandy games!
What ain't we got?
We ain't got dames!

We get packages from home,
We get movies, we get shows,
We get speeches from our skipper
And advice from Tokyo Rose,
We get letters doused with perfume
We get dizzy from the smell!
What don't we get?
You know darn well!

Further details available on request

The Thief by Tangerine Dream ;)
Vangelis: 1492 Conquest of Paradise and Alexander, both have much in common.

The Great Rock'n'Roll Swindel?

Attachments

• td.jpg
    td.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 317
Repo Man (coool)

Koyaanisqatsi (great film clip for it also - the film contains much more than the original soundtrack album)

Once Upon a Time There was the West (or Once Upon a Time in the West) - beats The Good, the Bad and the Ugly... IMO

The Hidden (a classic, but I've never been able to find a soundtrack album)

Rick,

It's like trying to compare apples and cheese - both OK in their own right and also can go well together, IMO.

Black Flag was a band that Henry Rollins was in from 1981-1986 (before he went solo/spoken voice/weird television). Alsthough it was really the idea of Greg Ginn who was the only member in it from its inception. I dunno how you'd categorise it, early punk/grunge maybe, enjoyable, forgettable, constantly changing (from punk to HM, maybe jazz, instrumental or even classical bits) - IMO again. Try "My War" and "Who's got the 10 and a half"

Iggy is, well, Iggy. His stuff has it's ups and downs. To me, it seems like he produced his best stuff just before he had to go and have some time off from the world. Even now, you can kinda tell by his physique that he's pretty much tense all the time. I'm a bit of a Stooges fan, and I like his early stuff. He's still got a great voice and can be fun live also.

Hi Jont.,

> apples and *cheese.

Different food groups ?

> Try "My War" and "Who's got the 10 and a half"

I’ll look out for them

I saw Iggy in ’88 (in Sydney’s Hordern Pavillion), expecting him to have mellowed – he was spectacular!

Seen Henry?

Different food groups ?

Completely. Although both have different periods and style changes, they don't really meet at any point (except on a soundtrack). Ginn's vision was pretty much changing through-out the life of the band (10 years is a long time unless you're the Stones). And, as I said, Iggy's vision changes constantly (and is sometimes blurred:)

Henry is a bit theatrical for me (as is Jello Biafra). I enjoyed both when in their bands, but don't have much time for them in their new careers. Never saw Flag when they were active - which is why I recommend ten and a half.

I dunno how you'd categorise it, early punk/grunge maybe

You could toss them in LA hardcore punk. That's really what they are known for.

It's kind of funny how Rollins and Jello took similar turns in their careers with regards to the spoken word thing. Jello was very good with the Dead Kennedys, but is fairly grating and flatly obnoxious on his own. Rollins just doesn't seem that smart (IMHO). Still, I would rather listen to LARD than the Rollins Band any day of the week.

One thing about living in America during a seeming revival of Reagan doctrine, all my old punk albums seem relevant again. :D

PauSim said:
Brian Eno - Music for films

Just add movie ;)

I have them all..on LP! There are three..Music for films, I, II, and III.

How about anything by Tangerine Dream..the soundtrack for "Thief", perhaps? :D

I have 23 Tangerine Dream albums. All on Vinyl, of course.

As for the Peter Gabriel Passion Soundtrack, I have a DMM, 180 gram, Promo version I found..unplayed! at a record shop. For $5. yes! score!!!

The Mission. Morricone
Cat People
Led Zepplin: The Bong remains the same (Sorry for the flat delivery)

etc.

Believe it or not.. one track I found interesting.. The beginning of the end credits for the Lemony Snickett "Series Of Unfortunate Events" film. Somebody hit a groove that day, and did a good job of it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.