Best Sounding FET for preamp input stage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
An op-amp setup for some linear amplification is quite linear until output voltage is reaching the supply limit. This is a quite abrupt transition from total clean to distorted sound and contrary to the desired soft transition.

Ok, so your point is that hard clipping in an op amp sounds terrible. Ok, I agree. Now what does that have to do with the discussion?

jfetrer's comment was to have a discrete SS amp WITH ONLY LOCAL FEEDBACK.

STFU if you don't understand.

This forum turns more and more into a dead letter box for people who actually understand the discussion every day

What is STFU? Some kind of Canadian slang?

The OP wants to improve the sound of his guitar amp by substituting a "better" opamp. There is very little to be gained by this. What will make a guitar amp sound better is the introduction of low order gently rising THD like that of a vacuum tube. As the signal arises from the noise floor THD steadily increases to about 10% before hard clipping is reached.

Danyuk's article uses small amounts of local feedback to make a JFET act more like a tube. Too much local feedback will make the circuit too linear and you might as well use an opamp.

Link: http://www.diale.org/pdf/Triode-Emulator-by-Dimitri-Danyuk.pdf

jfetrer's comment suggests he is using a CFP configuration. That configuration usually employs too much feedback to properly emulate a vacuum tube. But it's a step in the right direction.

@ voltwide: Certainly there are. But I am sure you could not discern whether there are OPAs in the signal path or not.
It is simply irrelevant.

I can tell when nothing but opamps are in the signal path. A non-linear element like a JFET or a tube will often mask any opamps.

@ voltwide: Any outstanding Guitar sounds are produced by outstanding guitar players.
Period.

No argument from me!

here's a freebe.
I have plots somewhere on diyaudio with different calibrations, domminant 2nd or 3rd or what ever mix. Head-room? Its there.

you can tweak for music instrument or hifi. Must have a real time analyzer though.

You can trim for lowest THD, flat THD, band specific THD and whatever mix of harmonics. (R2 and R10)

I was only able to do this with the P-channel J174. Not sure if its due to jfet N-Ch ion impact physics or what. Other p-ch jfet were not as amenable. Also the circuit is just plain shitty as single supply.

So there you go.

-

Attachments

• j174-front-end.png
    j174-front-end.png
    69.5 KB · Views: 283
Last edited:
Don't replace electrolytics with film caps unless you are sure that the circuit does not rely on ESR to damp any local resonances. And you are sure that the physically larger film caps will not create unwanted extra stray capacitive coupling, thus adding hum or instability. Guitar amps are not hi-fi. Even in hi-fi opamp swapping is more a fad than serious engineering.
I really don't think Peavey designed the preamp to 'rely on ESR to damp any local resonances'----do you? I think they just stuck the cheapest IC (a 4558) into the cheapest dc-blocking electrolytics (2.2uF) they could find. I'm cheap also, so I think putting my $25 into better opamps (OPA1642) and better 10uF film caps is worth a try. The circuit (fortunately) has close +/- decoupling (0.1uF) caps and sufficient (100pf) feedback capacitors to handle faster opamps. As Fahey pointed out, a JBL speaker would probably be the BEST upgrade; but they aren't to be had for $25. If guitar amps 'are not hi-fi', then just what are they? Low-Fi? Also, note that my usage here is for a PEDAL STEEL GUITAR, which is quite a different application than a regular six-string electric guitar.

............If guitar amps 'are not hi-fi', then just what are they? Low-Fi? Also, note that my usage here is for a PEDAL STEEL GUITAR, which is quite a different application than a regular six-string electric guitar.
HighFidelity is an audio reproduction characteristic.
A guitar amplifier is a piece of audio production equipment.

Those two genre are very different.
Guitar amps are not hifi.

Also, note that my usage here is for a PEDAL STEEL GUITAR, which is quite a different application than a regular six-string electric guitar.
Agreed. Pedal steel guitar is indeed a very demanding application... and the key component sure is the speaker which must be extremely clean and well damped. Even the slightest amount of "cone cry" ruins the sound completely.... as does any amount of hard clipping...

To be honest, steel, acoustic and bass amps are now usually more "HiFi" as are the Amps used with modelling preamps.

Bass amps often have an HPF to limit the LF response below 30-35Hz.

However the subject of MI amplifiers is complex and all the above are generalisations.

Last edited:
You want clean, so the opamp needs to be kept out of clipping. Does not matter if you change from one chip to another, they are all going to fall apart once you hit the voltage limit. Changing out an IC for a lower noise one is a valid exercise. With the amount of NFB we have distortion is not a concern (my opinion) especially in a live setting. Mind you if you want the preamp to work as a compressor or to add tube color that is a different ballgame.

For pedal steel you want to keep the initial picking transit from overloading the stages, this means all the way down the line to the output section. Since you are not trying to get distortion from the preamp, you might find that the power amp may be your limiting factor. Again, the attack is the first thing to distort, might be best to put a limiter in front of the amp,

If you have faith in the people that say swapping an IC will give you a better sound, just do it. If you believe, it will sound better even if nothing changes, does not matter what others say. I agree that using the best speaker that you can get will have the biggest impact on your sound. Maybe make/get a tube preamp/SS tube sounding pedal and put in front of your amp as a limiter. Anything to keep the signal level less dynamic (tame the pick attack).

He said "Electrostatical shielding". That means a good conductor - probably aluminium sheet. Mu-metal is for magnetic shielding.

Don't replace electrolytics with film caps unless you are sure that the circuit does not rely on ESR to damp any local resonances. And you are sure that the physically larger film caps will not create unwanted extra stray capacitive coupling, thus adding hum or instability.

Guitar amps are not hi-fi. Even in hi-fi opamp swapping is more a fad than serious engineering.

+1

Yes an unbelievably stupid comment. Discrete SS with only local feedback? I can't even think of a guitar amp that meets that description. Nothing on a hit record for sure.
Your comment is also unbelievably stupid and shows you have no clue on Musical Instrument amplifiers.
Just *one* example, there are thousands,here´s a record made using such amps, which not only was "a hit" but .... gasp !!!! .... TRIPLE Platinum.
Gold & Platinum was a 2-disc best of/hits compilation by Lynyrd Skynyrd. It was released in 1979 and is now out of print. The compilation spans their peak years from 1972–1977. The album contains three live tracks from the band's critically acclaimed One More from the Road: "Gimme Three Steps", "I Ain't the One", and "Free Bird". The album was certified Gold on 3/25/1980, Platinum on 8/18/1980 and 3x Platinum on 7/21/1987 by the RIAA.
They used early Peavey amplifiers, with discrete transistr preamps and power tube amps.

Ever heard of Rory Gallagher?
He not only used discrete local feedback SS amplifiers but he used part f the schematic on an album cover, he liked it so much
51B13XPF1GL.jpg

I can clearly see a BC109 in his beloved Stramp amplifier schematic.

Ever heard of Creedence Clearwater Revival?
They used early SS Kustom amplifiers,with a mix of discrete and early Op Amp preamps .... remember they were recorded in 1969 and thereabouts.

And so on and on and on ......

Your comment is also unbelievably stupid and shows you have no clue on Musical Instrument amplifiers.
Just *one* example, there are thousands,here´s a record made using such amps, which not only was "a hit" but .... gasp !!!! .... TRIPLE Platinum.

They used early Peavey amplifiers, with discrete transistr preamps and power tube amps.

Ever heard of Rory Gallagher?
He not only used discrete local feedback SS amplifiers but he used part f the schematic on an album cover, he liked it so much
51B13XPF1GL.jpg

I can clearly see a BC109 in his beloved Stramp amplifier schematic.

Ever heard of Creedence Clearwater Revival?
They used early SS Kustom amplifiers,with a mix of discrete and early Op Amp preamps .... remember they were recorded in 1969 and thereabouts.

And so on and on and on ......

Your post is also really stupid, and as you are not, I wonder why you are attacking me. I assume this is intentional demagoguery on your part to get back at me for something? Or perhaps just trying to make a big splash as free advertising for your commercial business?

jfetter posited that DISCRETE SS AMPS WITH ONLY LOCAL FEEDBACK are superior for guitar. As if even this debated, he actually posted such an example as to make it clear this was his point.

You presented 2 amps which are not only have non-discrete SS components such as tubes or op amps, but that do not even meet the criteria of only local feedback, they employ GNFB. They do not even meet 50% of the criteria. As for the Rory Gallagher amp, you go ahead and build it from that album cover schematic and tell me what it sounds like.

I hate demagoguery.

Last edited:
I went to a small guitar show today and ran into a guy I know that plays Steel Guitar. He had several Steels he was trying to sell. One had a little effect box attached to one of the legs. I ask him about it and he told me it was just a buffer that isolates the pickup from the usual foot operated Volume pedal. He says most pro players use one or something that does the same thing. Some Volume pedals have one built in, a Peavey Session 500 has one builtin. You run the guitar straight to the amp and your Volume pedal connects to two jacks on the front of the amp. He says the buffer helps maintain the guitar's tone no matter where the volume is set. Maybe this is what the OP needs instead of an opamp upgrade.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
I went to a small guitar show today and ran into a guy I know that plays Steel Guitar. He had several Steels he was trying to sell. One had a little effect box attached to one of the legs. I ask him about it and he told me it was just a buffer that isolates the pickup from the usual foot operated Volume pedal. He says most pro players use one or something that does the same thing. Some Volume pedals have one built in, a Peavey Session 500 has one builtin. You run the guitar straight to the amp and your Volume pedal connects to two jacks on the front of the amp. He says the buffer helps maintain the guitar's tone no matter where the volume is set. Maybe this is what the OP needs instead of an opamp upgrade.
Buffering the pickup indeed eliminates sound degrading when attenuating using the pot. This effect is technically well understood and works for any string instrument with traditional magnetic pickups. Anyway, this looks a bit off-topic here.

Yes, a lot of pro steel guitar players use a buffer inserted right out of the guitar BEFORE the volume pedal or any other effects boxes. The most highly regarded is one called a "Li'l Izzy" (~$140)---I do not know what is inside it, but my guess is some sort of FET circuitry--either discrete or opamp. Since so many professionals swear that it dramatically improved their sound, I thought that it would be advantageous to emulate it somehow by using an upgraded preamp section and a volume pedal 'loop' added to my cheapie Peavey Basic 50 amplifier. The cost of 4 opamps, 4 film caps and a couple of jacks would be within my extremely limited budget.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.