Best solution to missing B200 bottom end

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Scottmoose said:
True enough, plus the AC OB forum that inspired it: http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/index.php?board=90.0

The Dark Star thread in particular is a plentiful resource for B200s on OBs.

I am still playing with open baffles. I just put in a pair of Alpha 15a's, and amconsidering using two per channel.

Something different to consider for the lower end.

T-Bass circuit
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1622325#post1622325

Also, some more open baffle ideas at -
www.quarter-wave.com
I am considering the lowther + 2 Alpha approach. (just dont have x-overs in hand)

I am starting to think an L-PAD is a must for getting bass occasionally balaned out in comparison to full range.

Mike

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
S.Spielbergo said:
are your efficiency ratings an average or from say 600hz -18khz? Stock units? How much of a drop in response did you see towards the bottom octaves when measured in your baffles? I'm running a T-amp so I'm trying to hang on to every db I can.

Efficiency is waht is spit out by the T/S calculator on stock units. You lose a bit less than a 0.5 dB when treated (but gain at least 10-15 dB downward dynamic range at the bottom).

The only efficiency that counts is the lowest efficiency in the bandwidth you are using them. I'd be happy with a nice 10ish watt PP with B200. Our 4 w SE or PP amps weren't quite enuff.

dave

After some experiments I've decided to give the line level filter a chance. I'm honestly not too crazy about cutting any more holes in these baffles plus if I don't like the filter I can just disconnect it and toss it in the pile with the rest of my aborted electronic crap. I'm going to see about a filter that will only augment the top end 3db rather than 6db, these guys are pretty good they just need a little help.

as i wrote:

for normal levels, "10 a clock", there is no need for crossover,

but for the bass you need a active modul, to get the SPL,
if you take a sub modul, why not with a sat crossover,
than you get the highest SPL.

sat crossover of better Submoduls are cancled the power for the sat at 80-140 Hz, min. 6 better 12 dB, you get more SPL because the driver must not move for the lowest oktave.

if you use no B200 the best solution is the SAXOPHON,
bass soundstage dynamik, no submodul

Hm, what kind of enclosure is that in the lower b200 image? How does the above SAT horn achieve a consistent spl down to 100hz? Now that I have ordered parts for a filter I'm having second (third) thoughts. A more mechanical solution would be so much more satisfying. I work on electromechanical equipment for a "living" and I always find good, sound mechanical engineering at the heart of the best designs:D

I have been playing with a completed line level filter that was posted by Geoff H. The end result is a 6db reduction in output above ~1200hz with a small bypass cap that helps to restore the upper octave. The sound is much mellower as a result, the downside is you forfeit the b200's efficiency (as expected) and some of the nuances and air seem to diminish. Next step for me is to work out a LL filter that only attenuates the B200's response by 3db.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.