Best scope on a budget for measuring power supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Im looking to buy a scope on a budget (i dont do a heap of DIY stuff so buying an expensive one is out of the question for now)

im looking at both the tektrokix 465B and the HP 1740A scopes.

From what ive read the 1740a is a bit more sensitive so would this make it the better option for measuring noise/ripple out of regulators/power supplies?

is there a 3rd better option around that price range of the 2 scopes?

Any help is appreciated.

If you have access to those at acceptable prices, buy one. Make sure it all works first.

A little more sensitive? What does the Tek go down to, 5mv/div? I forget. That means on X1, it takes only 5mv of ripple to fill a screen division. You can f course see smaller waveforms than whole divisions. How sensitive do your ripple readings need to be?

if you need super sensitive stuff, then look into an AC voltmeter, or older days AC VTVM.

Like the HP 400 series

AC Voltmeter 400E Equipment Hewlett-Packard, HP; Palo Alto,
Hewlett-Packard HP-400D AC VTVM

How much room do you have? The old tek 7000 series mainframes tend to go pretty cheap because they are so big. More importantly, they have at least one plugin, 7a22, capable of down to 10
uV/div. This show you to get very precise noise reads at an affordable cost.

Sent from my LG-ls990 using Tapatalk

pedro thanks for the suggestion!! size wise ill make it work.. ill just put it out in my shed!

I would really appreciate some input on the following items that are currently up for sale and whether any one would be better in the long term over the other.

Tektronix 7603 Analog Oscilloscope | eBay

Tektronix 7603 Oscilloscope Mainframe 3 Slot W 7B53A 7A26 Plug IN'S "Tested" | eBay

Tektronix 7704A Oscilloscope System W 7A18 X2 7B53A 7D13 Plug INS | eBay

Oscilloscope System Tektronics 7704A 4 Plug INS Ctam 8421 | eBay

Tektronix 7834 Storage Analog Oscilloscope W Plugins | eBay

Thanks to everyone who has already helped out.

I'm a big supporter of Rigol stuff, the DS1054Z is hands down one of the best deals out there, that being said this is a specialized case. To see power supply ripple properly, especially on better supplies and lower voltage supplies, you need higher vertical resolution than the Rigol can supply. The Rigol can get down to 1mV/div which is good, but this one can get down to 10uV/div. This would allow him to measure even the most "ripple free" of supplies.
topomouse and pedro thanks for everything.

i ordered a tektronix 7603 scope with the 7a22 plug in.
Sorry I didn't respond yesterday, I was traveling with my gf. That's the exact combination I would go with in your case. 100MHz mainframe bandwidth is good enough. The 7a22 is a good amplifier for what you want to do. Now you just need to read up on it so you can get the most of it.

Don't forget there are wide range of other plugins with the tek 7k series, from the mundane to the exotic like a curve traces (can be pricey) and spectrum analyzer modules (even more pricey). Even sampling heads for GHz signal viewing and digital plugins for waveform storage and transfer to pc.

Last edited:
Pedro--being a noobie i missed that,but now i know and that's all part of going to school here! Would using a 465 and a meter such as hp 400 or a leader lmv 185 accomplish getting a reading that low at the same time?

Yes you could achieve similar with some DC blocking (which might be necessary with a scope as well) and an AC millivolt meter, assuming the millivolt meter has suitable resolution. The 400 and LMV-185 seem to have enough bandwidth to handle this. That being said, you don't get to see the waveform which can tell you a LOT about its source. Is it basic ripple (ie 50/60/100/120Hz), is it ringing from something like an inductor, is it switching noise, etc.

I have a Rigol DS1052E, 50MHz o-scope bought new a year ago for US$350. I am very happy with it. It gets used a lot. I like that is has a built-in frequency counter, auto reading, and FFT so I can see the spectum of harmonics and calculate total distortion reasonably well. Also, it will read right out the voltage, etc., P-P, RMS, Average, or whatever without counting divisions and calculating. You can freeze a sample and zoom in. You can send the screen shot to your PC. Lots of cool stuff!

Plus its the size and weight of a small lunchbox. :)

cheers
Rob

I have a Rigol DS1052E, 50MHz o-scope bought new a year ago for US$350. I am very happy with it. It gets used a lot. I like that is has a built-in frequency counter, auto reading, and FFT so I can see the spectum of harmonics and calculate total distortion reasonably well. Also, it will read right out the voltage, etc., P-P, RMS, Average, or whatever without counting divisions and calculating. You can freeze a sample and zoom in. You can send the screen shot to your PC. Lots of cool stuff!

Plus its the size and weight of a small lunchbox. :)

cheers
Rob
As already discussed, the Rigol class instruments are not appropriate recommendations here. I love the Rigol DS1054Z, the DS1052E replacement. That being said, it just plain wrong work for what he wants to do. Not without purchasing an expensive oscilloscope preamp which would cost more than the older Tek he is looking at.
mm im waiting to hear back from them.

im more annoyed that this scope was shown as working when the others on ebay are a bit more suspect.
That really sucks. Luckily, these come back on the market with some regularity so you may have to wait a bit but hopefully not too long.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.