Best pa subwoofer. (Technically)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you can find a nice pair of 12" high compliance drivers, why not try an acoustic suspension design? The problem with ported systems is that you get a few Hertz of extended response, and then response drops off a cliff. A well-tempered AS box with enough amplifier power (which comes cheap these days) and some judicious EQ can give you great all-around performance.

You've still only got the radiating area of a couple of 12"s. With no re-inforcement from the cabinet, cone excursion would have to be massive to get loud down to, say, 30Hz.
Ported systems give a considerable extension to the lower cutoff of the system, improve the cooling of the drivers, and reduce excursion dramatically around tuning, improving mechanical power handling - something seriously needed when relatively small drivers are in use.

Chris

Chris, you're absolutely correct. My position all along has been to go big to get big bass, hence the examples that I cited. There's nothing better than square inches for making more cubic inches of LF wind.

When I look at the OP's system, it appears to be a pair of bookshelf-sized speakers (single 8" woofer each). I had a similar system in college, with a pair of Mission 710s that I augmented with Motorola piezoelectric horn tweeters and a pair of subs made from the bottom portion of a pair of BIC SoundSpan TPR 600 omnidirectional speakers with upgraded 12" drivers for higher power handling.

The Frankensteined BIC low end wasn't a true subwoofer; all it did was add more thump for parties. It was a compromise to be sure. But the drivers were mounted with the magnet assembly on the outside, which made cooling them a breeze. :D

If the OP's intention is to play disco music at parties with 12" drivers, then the thump-thump-thump is going to be desirable. I grew up when Thiele/Small was all the rage, and long for something different.

Hi,

What is best is what its designed well to suit your best purpose well.

Take a look at this :
https://sites.google.com/site/undefinition/tarkus

If your thinking 12" + 8" + not quite sure what you intend
note the 12" needs as much clean excursion as the 10"
used to above to go significantly louder in the bass.

e.g. the Monacor SP-300P 12" Loudspeaker Driver
linked to earlier is about the same as the 10" Peerless.
Its more efficient but needs about a 4 times larger
box to go as deep as the Peerless does but plays
no louder in the deep bass, it will go louder outside
of the excursion limited region.

rgds, sreten.

The Tarkus will go silly loud I assume in a small one bedroom flat
driven by a decent 100W to 200W per channel power amplifier.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.