Best midrange to pair with Beyma TPL-150

This thread was a very nice read, much useful information. I am looking for a mid driver for 15" PAP+Heil AMT and open baffle, but the candidate list probably is similar as for TPL150. I have already mounted a Supravox 215 Bicone, so I will start trying that out. But I presume there will be better candidates, e.g. for 200-2000 Hz.

Did anyone look into the Purifi 6.5" driver for integration with the TPL or Heil? The sensivity is lower than most alternatives discussed here, but the frequency response and (lack of) distortion of this driver is great. With two per side and support of the 15" it should work I guess. Maybe two way with AMT it could even work, though at higher levels more drivers could be required...

Fedde

This thread was a very nice read, much useful information. I am looking for a mid driver for 15" PAP+Heil AMT and open baffle, but the candidate list probably is similar as for TPL150. I have already mounted a Supravox 215 Bicone, so I will start trying that out. But I presume there will be better candidates, e.g. for 200-2000 Hz.

Did anyone look into the Purifi 6.5" driver for integration with the TPL or Heil? The sensivity is lower than most alternatives discussed here, but the frequency response and (lack of) distortion of this driver is great. With two per side and support of the 15" it should work I guess. Maybe two way with AMT it could even work, though at higher levels more drivers could be required...

Fedde

Are you planning to go active or passive?

Ah, forgot to mention that. I plan to use a Fusion 253 plate amp, so actively driven and EQ is possible. Currently I cross the 15" at just under 1k with AMT, which is working better than I expected, although the distance between the drivers vertically is too high.

Fedde

Interesting, I have shortlisted the AE Diploe 15", Purifi 6.5" and a Beyma TPL 150, driven by Hypex plate amps, with the possibility of adding a second 15" if needed. Very similar indeed. Would love to know how the Purifi works in this application. The sensitivity shouldn't be an issue in an active setup.

If I understood correctly, you were thinking of 2x Purifi with 1x 15"? Whether you need 2x Purifi probably depends on the crossover point with the 15". You also mentioned high SPL which makes me wonder whether you should consider 2x15" per side as the 15" is likely to hit Xmax before the Purifi (again, depends on crossover point).

Honestly, I do not care about high SPL so much. 99% of the time I listen to modest volumes (background music or avoiding to wake my family up...). I have an L baffle design, for details see my webpage. My 15" is barely moving even at somewhat higher levels so I am fine with one in my ~24m2 room. A single Purifi will work for mid I'd think, but probably would fall short while crossing at 100-200 Hz.

I read very good reports on the Audax PR170m0 as well, but I am not sure whether it can contend with more recent speakers. Did not find distortion data yet, but cost, efficiency and waterfall diagrams are great IMHO.

Last edited:
Honestly, I do not care about high SPL so much. 99% of the time I listen to modest volumes (background music or avoiding to wake my family up...). I have an L baffle design, for details see my webpage. My 15" is barely moving even at somewhat higher levels so I am fine with one in my ~24m2 room. A single Purifi will work for mid I'd think, but probably would fall short while crossing at 100-200 Hz.

I read very good reports on the Audax PR170m0 as well, but I am not sure whether it can contend with more recent speakers. Did not find distortion data yet, but cost, efficiency and waterfall diagrams are great IMHO.

the 170mo has been so revered, its a safe bet for sure. i personally have not heard a better mid, and the apparently low xmax is not issue as the suspension of the driver itself limits excursion; ive run the pr170mo without any filters up to 95db without a failure. i dont know much 6.5 inch mid available new today that is a true 97db efficiency

The CSD seems to favour the Purifi (note the different scales on the axes – the Audax CSD plots double the time interval) mainly due to the earlier and more prominent breakup on the Audax.

Unlike the Purifi, the Audax is only usable from 500Hz which really limits its useful bandwidth as there is already a first breakup at 1,800Hz (and the Beyma is good from 1kHz anyway). I personally wouldn't use it in a high-end design such as the one you are contemplating.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

ptt6.5w04-01a_waterfall.png

(courtesy of Madisound and Hificompass respectively)

Last edited:
The CSD seems to favour the Purifi (note the different scales on the axes – the Audax CSD plots double the time interval) mainly due to the earlier and more prominent breakup on the Audax.

Unlike the Purifi, the Audax is only usable from 500Hz which really limits its useful bandwidth as there is already a first breakup at 1,800Hz (and the Beyma is good from 1kHz anyway). I personally wouldn't use it in a high-end design such as the one you are contemplating.

PR170M0-WF.jpg

ptt6.5w04-01a_waterfall.png

(courtesy of Madisound and Hificompass respectively)
the pr170mo can be run from 300hz to 3000hz without issue. the purifi do go much lower, but are much lower efficiency as well.

I dont see the point in comparing a 88 db purifi midbass vs a midrange of 97db. if someone need a hi eff midrange for a passive hi eff speaker, the purifi is out of the question

Last edited:
"... I dont see the point in comparing a 88 db purifi midbass."

It is typical of Bruno's (superb) marketing to hype his good, or sometimes very good, products to make them sound like "game-changing" or "revolutionary".

His latest (very good) bass/mid driver is in fact 83dB sensitive.
Puri Bliss - BeWg | HiFiCompass - всё для акустических систем и не только

"... real sensitivity of 80 to 83 dB over the entire frequency range at a voltage of 2.83 Volts at a distance of 1 meter."

the pr170mo can be run from 300hz to 3000hz without issue. the purifi do go much lower, but are much lower efficiency as well.

I dont see the point in comparing a 88 db purifi midbass vs a midrange of 97db. if someone need a hi eff midrange for a passive hi eff speaker, the purifi is out of the question

Well, I get your point, but you could still use the Purifi as mid driver in an active system. The question is then how well it would integrate with an AMT and what the pluses and minus in quality aspects are compared to other offerings.

Fedde

It is typical of Bruno's (superb) marketing to hype his good, or sometimes very good, products to make them sound like "game-changing" or "revolutionary".

His latest (very good) bass/mid driver is in fact 83dB sensitive.
Puri Bliss - BeWg | HiFiCompass - всё для акустических систем и не только

"... real sensitivity of 80 to 83 dB over the entire frequency range at a voltage of 2.83 Volts at a distance of 1 meter."

The sensitivity is frequency dependent. From 200-2000 Hz the sensitivity would be 88-90 dB according to Purifi specs. But at 40 Hz only 78 dB...

Still, this discussion made me doubt on the best approach again. The nice thing with Purifi is that you could go two way, but this would require multiple drivers so comes at a cost. Alternatively you could try to stop at 100 Hz, making it less audible that the big woofer is lower mounted. But maybe this already to much for a single Purifi driver. Or cross over just at 300-500 Hz. But then the question how much benefit the Purifi qualities still bring... Oh well... :rolleyes:

Fedde

Last edited:
P.s. good to know about the 300 to 3k range of Audax. This would still work. Do you use it with TPL150? If yes at what crossover?

I get -3db at 300hz in a 30L sealed cab with the pr170mo. id say the usable range is about 300hz to 3.2khz.

Audax PR170M0 –100 dB or just *94 dB??

I plan to use the pr170mo between 300hz to about 2khz first order xo, with a horn planar, the hivi rt2ha, bit similar to the tpl150

Last edited:
After reading many fora on mid ranges, I am warming up to the idea of trying Satori midwoofers in my open baffle setup. E.g. MR16 or MW16, 4 or 8 ohm. They are much more affordable than Purifi, so you can buy two per side for less than the price of one Purifi. They are more efficient as well, though they will have a bit more THD and IMD compared to Purifi. But when used in a mid range, that should not matter that much...

Fedde

After reading many fora on mid ranges, I am warming up to the idea of trying Satori midwoofers in my open baffle setup. E.g. MR16 or MW16, 4 or 8 ohm. They are much more affordable than Purifi, so you can buy two per side for less than the price of one Purifi. They are more efficient as well, though they will have a bit more THD and IMD compared to Purifi. But when used in a mid range, that should not matter that much...

Fedde

Yes, the Purifi isn't cheap. We need an EU group buy!