Best midrange to pair with Beyma TPL-150

I think that the TPL 150 is a very good tweeter the problems is to look a woofer that match in similar condition, I have listen many times the tpl150 with JBL 2206H and I think that the transition from tweeter with a ultra low THD in special 3rd HD, are very far from the 3rd HD in the 10G40, I agree that the sound is very good, who have listened TAD series TL-16.?

I think that the TPL 150 is a very good tweeter the problems is to look a woofer that match in similar condition, I have listen many times the tpl150 with JBL 2206H and I think that the transition from tweeter with a ultra low THD in special 3rd HD, are very far from the 3rd HD in the 10G40, I agree that the sound is very good, who have listened TAD series TL-16.?

Sadly enough TPL150 is to much HIFI stuff for their big phat cone paipppeeeerrrringsss drivers....:D

Anyone tried to match a TPL150 to an Accuton or Audio Technology midwoof...?:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Seems these guys like accuton but not with the TPL

VAPOR AUDIO :: Exquisite Sound Speakers
VAPOR AUDIO :: Exquisite Sound Arcus

Do you remember the polar pattern of the TPL150 ? LineSources member linked it if I remember ?

Why not a horn below with a 2.5" driver : fast enough ? Very low distorsion and high spl (TC/TG9 . 10F/8044, etc...) for the 200 Hz to TPL150 range ? Dunno for instance if a 90° x 40° bi-radial or a Tractricx could do the job ?

Seems these guys like accuton but not with the TPL

VAPOR AUDIO :: Exquisite Sound Speakers
VAPOR AUDIO :: Exquisite Sound Arcus

Do you remember the polar pattern of the TPL150 ? LineSources member linked it if I remember ?

Why not a horn below with a 2.5" driver : fast enough ? Very low distorsion and high spl (TC/TG9 . 10F/8044, etc...) for the 200 Hz to TPL150 range ? Dunno for instance if a 90° x 40° bi-radial or a Tractricx could do the job ?

A voile ou a vapeur, too much BCBG for my body...:eek:

Pro Audio c'est la piste noire et la dictadure, Hifi Audiofilo, c'est la fête des fous! Os courts!

Last edited:
You mean too much B&C and Bohlender Grabner, lol ! derriere le voile your wallet became vapor : should be expensive I think...

They are said to sound good, the guy behind is member here iirc ! There are all the drivers you like but unluckilly none of them with the TPL... maybe the TPL was not the good choice !

Nonono, i was simply surprised that rude guys might produce a TPL150, and other rude guys like it, without really achieving a soft polite match with rude big cones intended for rude big guys...:D

But its ok if you prefer a rude titanium CD driver with diffraction horn, well enjoy,i might be gay after all...:cheers:

I don't understand half of what you guys are saying. However, some observations:

I think Accuton midrange are likely better matches for Raal because of sensitivity and because of the range they liked to be used at.

Vapor Audio does use the TPL on a 2-way crossed to a TD10M at 1100Hz. He prefers the TPL here because the Raal can't be xo that low. Otherwise he prefers Raals.

nore us either ! Just jokes sans queue ni tête !

Yep I think your right about what you are saying about Vapor Audio ! It may meaning than at home level the 1500 Hz distorsion peak is not important because the spl headroom ! Why not try à la Angelo with the speedy 12' of Beyma ?

I believe you chose Something not easy to work with (= hard to mary so low) ! I really believe from the beginning of this adventure you may need a mid-bass horn to match the sound of an AMT XOed so low, I'm wrong perhaps !

Change the XO to > 8K Hz with the Tpl and a good 2" inch compression driver from 700/800 to 8 000 ? Why not !

Last edited:

Yep I think your right about what you are saying about Vapor Audio ! It may meaning than at home level the 1500 Hz distorsion peak is not important because the spl headroom ! Why not try à la Angelo with the speedy 12' of Beyma ?

I believe you chose Something not easy to work with (= hard to mary so low) ! I really believe from the beginning of this adventure you may need a mid-bass horn to match the sound of an AMT XOed so low, I'm wrong perhaps !

Change the XO to > 8K Hz with the Tpl and a good 2" inch compression driver from 700/800 to 8 000 ? Why not !

SLP must be lineal with 2nd and 3rd Harm. Distortion lineal at less in the piano range , the piano is very rich in Harmonic, if the distortion is not lineal you can listen same notes are not tuned,, I agree that 2 inch compression cover correctly the range, now the problem is to look a low distortion compression driver under reasonable budget, but TPL 150 is a fantastic driver but is not easy to find with similar characteristic woofer to engage. Maybe Wolf von Langa | A1500C

Both the TD10M and the Beyma 12P80Nd have clean midrange up to around 2k but the AE is definitely a noticable step up in performance and the smaller cone beams less at that frequency. I had both when I tested a friends TPL 150 and was able to compare. Both work well with the beyma and dayton AMT

There was a Dapolitto 2 ways with it made by a sweedisch member. And also a german DIY.

The problem with high efficienty and 2 way design is to go down the low frequencies while climbing as high as the second driver needs for the XO !

That's why you see 3 way" or even 4 ways when PA drivers, high efficienty and spl are involved !

You could reduce the upper efficienty with resistor padding à la JBL M2 but at the cost of a reduced SPL! And as you see 1500 Hzor even 1100 Hz with an AMT is a little rude for the driver below to do all the job !

You could choose a full range big diameterwith low slope filter perhaps, but will it match is another story ! EMS Produits, etc, etc : many brands choices , sky and wallet is your limit (as physic laws :D)

Last edited:
I dont mind a small 3way. I do have a few drivers that are on a shelf I could use I was just hoping maybe something was already out there and I could copy.

I have a pair of 10" PHL 3451 mids and I have four Beyma SMN110's I could use for the bass drivers. SO that would be a tall 3way tower. BUT I was trying to make a smaller speaker. Probably have to look at padding down the TPL to match a smaller driver and cross over to subs.

PHL :) : hard to beat in PA stuffs, especially theirs foamed devices... too bad it's so hard to source now even in France since they were bought by a stranger company ! It's little expensive but the workers are highly skilled and qualified about the quality control... too bad, hope they will stay in France !