Best material for baffle to help diffraction?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
what's the answer to how much rounding is best? If you look at the research of olson you will see that a sphere was the best. You cant get any rounder than that. So the answer is, the more rounder it is, the closer it is to a sphere and therefore the closer to perfection.

regards,

lilun

And in this speaker that would affect it how? What are you forgetting? Remember there are always compromises that are made to every design

what's the answer to how much rounding is best? If you look at the research of olson you will see that a sphere was the best. You cant get any rounder than that. So the answer is, the more rounder it is, the closer it is to a sphere and therefore the closer to perfection.

regards,

lilun

This made me think of the B&W 802D. Since there are things going on inside too, maybe a total sphere would have a detrimental effect?

Last edited:
I would presume having a tweeter in a open space or sphere would give a different sound completely, which people may or may like or may not suit the listening room and music preference, if your referring to building a speaker in sphere then it could be difficult because drivers are tested on baffles of some sort, i think the b&w 802D would have great imaging. Lilun i've read that a sphere should have to have a sheet of wood down the centre/s so no waves inside the cabinet are the same length, same goes for standard rectangle cabinets having internal walls at different tilts will change the sound.

what things are going on inside? For bass I have read that any shape will do providing its the right volume.

I thought the topic was still high frequencies and diffraction. I was thinking of what goes on behind a mid range and hf driver, reverse waves. And that perhaps they might act more favorably on the outer side of a spherical shape opposed to the in. I was questioning it more than anything else, my imagination runs away sometimes.

I wonder how effective the felt is on cerwin-vega SE model at combating a shrieking cv horn tweeter. I have to admit it does not look bad.

Attachments

• 500x1000px-LL-bd11dcf4_newadditions.jpeg
    500x1000px-LL-bd11dcf4_newadditions.jpeg
    58.9 KB · Views: 147
I wonder how effective the felt is on cerwin-vega SE model at combating a shrieking cv horn tweeter. I have to admit it does not look bad.

Way too thin. It may even be a synthetic, which will have poor absorbance. You want something at least a cm or so, natural fiber. It can be bought from several industrial suppliers (e.g., McMaster-Carr) as a strip with adhesive backing.

Anyway am quite i believe diffraction plays a good role in determining the overall sound of loudspeakers i think it would be foolish not to overlook diffraction when designing any loudspeaker, it costs very little or nothing to get good results it seems.

My friend was kindly given a vintage pair of TDL's (i think their called) which has an offset tweeter and a kind of felt composite texture around the tweeter, which got me to find out they have known about diffraction for years.

I understand now so would some dj speakers benefit from better felt?

It depends. What you're doing there is altering polar pattern. "Alter" may mean "improve overall performance," it may mean "worsen overall performance," or it may mean "change overall performance in a way that is neither better nor worse, just different." It's a single element of an overall system design.

Wondered how felt worked.
Maybe as the wave travels over the felt , the absorption by the felt causes the returning reflected wave to be much lower in amplitude making it 'appear' as if the boundary wall was much further back than it really is. This would reduce the interference compared to a flat hard surface.... Layered absorbent might be better as there will be several entry/exit surfaces which would increase the transmission loss ,cause a delay, and increase the effectiveness of the absorbent layer.

It depends. What you're doing there is altering polar pattern. "Alter" may mean "improve overall performance," it may mean "worsen overall performance," or it may mean "change overall performance in a way that is neither better nor worse, just different." It's a single element of an overall system design.

Thanks for your advice Sy. I guess its like any modification to manufacturers design's i.e changing wadding x/o capacitors etc.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.