• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Best looking tube?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
DSC_0616.JPG

revive old thread
IMG_1268.jpg

This is a good topic - for me potential DIY tube amp will depend on the tube look. I like 6c33c for its industrial rugged shape - I use it in my first DIY tube amp. I accidentally bought a lot of NOS gu32 (832 ) tubes, i like weird shape of these frogs :) I know what'll be building next.

Attachments

• DSC00850.JPG
    DSC00850.JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 655
OT:
About Peranders' last tube: 30 cm tall, for 25kV. 5kA??

I would venture to suggest a decimal point change somewhere.

Several decades ago I worked at the South African Broadcasting Corporation. For their medium wave transmitters a CAT-6 was used. It drew 1A at 10kV, was water-cooled, and stood about 1 meter tall. What is the dissipation of the Peranders example? Even if it is a "either-or" rating (it probably is) I am wondering.

(I can't recall what V.A, but the CAT-6 used a special isolated generator to supply the filament energy - it was directly heated.)

I guess I would agree with the impact the tube made at the time of its introduction: KT66

Totally OT:

Post #26 reminded me of the way we used to illuminate our way at night inside the SABC transmitter houses; By simply holding a fluorescent tube (working or burnt-out) in the hand (no connection to anything, no danger). It simply got energised to almost full glow by the surrounding r.f. field.

No, it was OK. I had three sons later when married

300b, common. Have some originality. It looks like a rectifier tube. I'm saying nothing of it aural aptitude, just looks rather plain.

To each there own though.

I'm sorry, I thought the criteria for this thread was beauty and not originality?

If we were looking for the most original tube, I'd pick something completely different. There are plenty of freakish looking vacuum tubes out there.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.