Best high-eff budget tweeter(any type)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Passive/active crossover?

What specific driver/s are you marrying it to?
Two way? three way design?

low crossover and high efficiency are not easy to find in the same drivers. Large waveguide and compression units probably best bet on a modest budget. I haven't heard Compression units in a Hifi speaker though yet, so I cannot comment from personal experience.
However I can say the Heil AMT's sound excellent. May be worth stretching for, that's if you can find them at a special price.

Last edited:
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
What's the budget? How low? What type of crossover and at what freq.?

and how 'efficient' :confused:

I guess no point in denying it, tho not always, high efficiency also often results in being less 'smooth'

so despite having no nasty breakup or peaking, and looking smooth, it could still sound 'nasty', or harsh

best budget tweeter I know of is XT19
I found it very easy to handle

Vifa DQ25SC16-04

94 dB/W @ 1 m, good distortion profile, very low cost

+1

Use a third octave crossover filter at 18dB per octave crossed at 2,500 Hz or more and you should be great shape. I was going to use one for a center channel until I figured out I needed a 30mm tweeter crossed at 1,850Hz.

Zaph Audio loves that tweeter BTW... a best buy with very low distortion.

I'm back.
Extra details:

I came to the conclussion that for my SET amp i will start with with a two way: one 10" or 12" pro driver and a tweeter for the top. I want a tweeter that goes very low, so i can stick to first order crossovers. The target SPL is around 95 dB. The more...the better!

If i decide to use a dome tweeter i wil use a waveguide for shure! Actually....i wil use a wave guide for any kind of tweeter.

Some ribbon options? (planar tweeters actually-i want something that's under 100$)

Bdw. Someone told me that Eminence APT tweeter were first produced by TAD! That could explain the amount of good reviews this driver has.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I want a tweeter that goes very low, so i can stick to first order crossovers. The target SPL is around 95 dB. The more...the better!

I've used the DE250 down to 600Hz with a first order crossover. Goes loud, no distortion issues. The only issue I've noticed was horn colouration at the lower cutoff, but that's not the fault of the tweeter.

good idea together with a lowcost or diy waveguide.

Here a budget 1"of bmspro 800Hz-30000Hz 113dB/1Wmtr.Overview

BMS 4524 - 1" High Frequency Compression Driver 8 Ohm - BMS4524 - STEREO LAB
BMS advise often XO near cutoff with their drivers this means 800Hz with this one, they are robust. With a 3-10W tube amp there will be no damage. Probably you need less than 1W because it does already 113dB at 1W! Before your woofer does 113dB/1wmtr there is serious power or efficiency needed.

You could save money on a wave guide and bold it on this low price coaxial(you need to buy the 3/8 threat adapter).http://www.eminence.com/pdf/Beta_12CX.pdf
And buy a second 12"to increase efficiency of the low frequency.http://www.eminence.com/pdf/Delta_12LFA.pdf

98-99dB/1Wmtr shout be possible.:)

Last edited:

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2011-11-21 om 17.35.32.png
    Schermafbeelding 2011-11-21 om 17.35.32.png
    36.4 KB · Views: 390
  • Schermafbeelding 2011-11-21 om 17.31.08.png
    Schermafbeelding 2011-11-21 om 17.31.08.png
    35.9 KB · Views: 387

hmmm. i have my doubts about coaxial drivers.... But who knows? Do you think i will be better of with this set-up, or with a geddlee style speaker.
I have no problem in DIY-ing my own wave guides.
CNC-machining or fiberglass moulding...

Any experience with a planar magnetic tweeter?

hmmm. i have my doubts about coaxial drivers.... But who knows? Do you think i will be better of with this set-up, or with a geddlee style speaker.
I have no problem in DIY-ing my own wave guides.
CNC-machining or fiberglass moulding...

Any experience with a planar magnetic tweeter?

A coalxial is a point source it is better than crossing at 1kHz and have them placed 20cm distance to each other.

What I am saying coaxial is the best you can have from acoustic behaviour. Look at Tannoy.

A coalxial is a point source it is better than crossing at 1kHz and have them placed 20cm distance to each other.

What I am saying coaxial is the best you can have from acoustic behaviour. Look at Tannoy.
The Tannoy co-axial has an offset of ~3inches between the drivers.
The pressure driver is behind the cone driver and I think Tannoy use a phase inversion to make the crossover work at 1kHz.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.