best guitar solo?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I wonder why there is none from recently new generation =)

my vote for jimmy page in since i've been loving you 'live version' yep the cosmic energy!,
eric johnson in manhattan ( g3 live ) i'm dreaming that i can play thin, bold, in proportion and enjoyable music like him =). nuno! ah he is perfect!

all of RHCP's guitarist for make the simple to be enjoyable.

Eric schenkman! from spin doctor in homebely live....

mm.. alex lifeson.. if i bored of all, i play this band of 3. check the big money.. i can not understand how someone can create this kind of abstract melody.. genius!

just remember 'em by now, hey maybe because they're in my favourite band either =)
aah now i miss those art rock bands.. screaming guitar and keyboard in a battle.

I'm a guitar player, let's see...

Frank Zappa - "Inca Roads"; it stays on the same chord but the brain power of Zappa makes it be a very inventive solo.

Frank Zappa - "Return of the Son of Shut up and play your guitar" Masterpiece of inventiveness.

Jeff Beck - "Goodbye Pork Pie hat" Masterpiece of phrasing and expressiveness on the guitar. Jeff beck is the king of guitar expresiveness.

Pat Metheny - "Language of Time" ("Quartet" album). The best synth guitar solo i've heard, by far.

I listened to Alan Holdsworth for well over 20 years now and he has performed some mind boggling guitar work.
The most "accessible" and melodic work of his was on the classic UK debut album.
Here are two tunes from it- both feature incredible guitar solos- the second tune has guitar and keyboards trading licks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwDnNGskWUY (guitar solo starts at 3:00)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9B8A2ZTaKbg (solos start at around 3:00 as well)
but the complete tunes are well worth listening to.

A few cool guitar solos on Steely Dan albums over the years ...

I think Larry Carlton has contributed a couple of the most memorable.

His solo on 'Kid Charlemagne' (Album: The Royal Scam) is legendary, and has spawned more than a few YouTube impersonations.

I also love his solo on 'Third World Man' (Album: Gaucho) - slow, considered and achingly beautiful.

Also check out current 'Dan regular Jon Herington's funky wah-wah solo on Donald Fagan's track 'H Gang' (Album: Morph the Cat)

Cheers,
Ian

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.