Best Gainclone configuration for Jordan JX92S Drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Probably cost more in shipping than it's worth!!

Antonio, stick with the kit - I don't really get this fascination with point-to-point designs myself. I guess this is borne out of people who cant make their own pcb's or remember the days of valves too well!!

I can also second John's recommendation of practicing soldering on a bit of stripboard with some cheap parts and wire. Another way is to pick up some junk electronics and practice soldering and desoldering on it's PCB - that's how I learned many years ago :)

Re: Re: see .....

sakis said:
how much is going to cost you to ship in greece and back ....

if you are willing to pay this ....then i will fix it for free !!!!

Wow! :bigeyes: Sakis that is a very kind offer!. Are you serious!

But I could not let you do it for free. I would pay at least the costs of materials and next time you come to London I would invite you a drink or two and will give you a good tour of the city.

Within the EU it might not be that expensive and it is safe to ship the amp. So you might hear from me :rolleyes: .

Best regards

Antonio

jaycee said:
Probably cost more in shipping than it's worth!!

Antonio, stick with the kit - I don't really get this fascination with point-to-point designs myself. I guess this is borne out of people who cant make their own pcb's or remember the days of valves too well!!

I can also second John's recommendation of practicing soldering on a bit of stripboard with some cheap parts and wire. Another way is to pick up some junk electronics and practice soldering and desoldering on it's PCB - that's how I learned many years ago :)

Jaycee,

Sorry, we are mixing topics in this thread.

Sakis and I are talking aboout fixing a Sonographe Mosfet amp not about building the gainclone, for which I will indeed learn soldering to do it myself.

regards

Antonio

Hi Antonio,

Yep, my tips were for when you decide to build a gainclone :)

As for the Sonographe, I would guess that the output mosfets are blown and possibly the driver transistors too, but if it was more than that I would be surprised, and would probably consider the amp a write off.

At a guess, the Exicon ECX10N20 and ECX10P20 parts might be suitable replacements. Another possibility is Toshiba 2SK1530/2SJ201. The originals are long obsolete and you'd either pay over-the-odds for them, or end up with fakes.

jaycee said:
Hi Antonio,

Yep, my tips were for when you decide to build a gainclone :)

As for the Sonographe, I would guess that the output mosfets are blown and possibly the driver transistors too, but if it was more than that I would be surprised, and would probably consider the amp a write off.

At a guess, the Exicon ECX10N20 and ECX10P20 parts might be suitable replacements. Another possibility is Toshiba 2SK1530/2SJ201. The originals are long obsolete and you'd either pay over-the-odds for them, or end up with fakes.

Hi yacee,

Thanks.

The mosfets numbers are J115/Y7J and K405/Y7G (two of each one for each channel) and have not found them anywhere.

So, in your experience could replacement transistors work very well? I mean, as well as the original ones. Could you give an idea of the price?

Thanks

Antonio

The device names read as follows:

J115/Y7J - this is a 2SJ115, gain group Y, 7J will be a manufacturer batch code

K405/Y7G - 2SK115, same gain group.

"2S" devices is the standard prefix for Japanese transistors/mosfets. The 2SK1530/2SJ201 from Toshiba will probably drop right in, but I haven't been able to find them at any of the big UK suppliers.

The main thing here is trouble shooting. You will need to know how to diagnose other faults, eg faulty driver transistors, possible damage to discrete parts, the safety procedures involved in safely bringing up and testing a power amplifier, how to re-set the bias current, etc.

The driver transistors *should* be the smaller (TO-126) transistors on heatsinks that are right in front of the output transistors on the main heatsink. What numbers are on them?

jaycee said:
The device names read as follows:

J115/Y7J - this is a 2SJ115, gain group Y, 7J will be a manufacturer batch code

K405/Y7G - 2SK115, same gain group.

"2S" devices is the standard prefix for Japanese transistors/mosfets. The 2SK1530/2SJ201 from Toshiba will probably drop right in, but I haven't been able to find them at any of the big UK suppliers.

The main thing here is trouble shooting. You will need to know how to diagnose other faults, eg faulty driver transistors, possible damage to discrete parts, the safety procedures involved in safely bringing up and testing a power amplifier, how to re-set the bias current, etc.

The driver transistors *should* be the smaller (TO-126) transistors on heatsinks that are right in front of the output transistors on the main heatsink. What numbers are on them?

Thanks very much jaycee!

I will slowly try to learn and ***** what could be wrong with this amp.

Tomorrow I will check the smaller transistors' numbers and will report back.

In the meantime I was thinking I should shift the discussion to a more suitable thread/section of the forum. I hope you can follow us here if you can: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9952
Your input there will be very appreciated.

Regards

Antonio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.