best full range drivers regardless of the price?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Guys
May I ask why not just look for a WB speaker unit which is good to around 8-10k & augment it with a tweeter & be done. Perhaps if done this way, FS could be design to go lower which would negate the pain in having to design a horn loaded cabinet just to get bass.

Been there. I now strongly think adding a helper woofer to a FR that does reach up high is a more satisfactory route. It removes many of the negatives that come with XOs.

dave

That's what I think too.

Matching directivity and trying to get the tweet physically close to the center of a big driver at 10k is hard.

Better to let a smaller wide range driver that reaches high, gently collapse directivity smoothly.

If you cross to a woofer at around 200Hz with some overlap you can decrease floor bounce too.

Win, win.

Cheers

If you cross to a woofer at around 200Hz with some overlap you can decrease floor bounce too.

This!
Crossover with some overlap. Very important!

Sumotan:
There are lots of different ca 86-90dbw drivers around, just have to look. Many small ones are good from 120-150hz up, larger ones go lower, but if you are going to use a helper woofer there is no point in going lower than ca 200hz.

Last edited:
Thank KaffiMann
Actually Im curious what you guys are looking at. I’ve got a pair of Coral 10F-60 that blows my mind when I tested it out on an OB against my ML Odyssey. It does not exhibit beaming as the frequency goes up. Will build a proper box for it one day cause its got excellent bass, hence my question on just adding a tweeter & be done.

Apologies did only listening test. No measurements. What is fascinating about it was it was almost as transparent as the ML but with different tonal color & it did not seem to loose any highs playing music that Im very familiar with. Overall response very smooth, no peaks that I could hear, this Im very sure cause I also tested a Coral Flat 8 & this has a honk somewhere not all that smooth overall. I bought it years ago just to collect without knowing that it really is this good but when you examine closely at the details of the 10F-60, these old school gurus seems to know a thing or two . Real surprise

Look at that V shape thingy that’s glued to the cone, must be a damper of sorts to control cone break-up etc.

Attachments

• 4DE3C9E2-B902-4AE9-96DD-513673D682FA.jpg
    4DE3C9E2-B902-4AE9-96DD-513673D682FA.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 593
Note the location & shape. It will certainly modify the cone resonance & is also likely there to help damp transverse reflections back from the surround edge. There are many variations on this theme (to a point EnABL is one of them, if you sidestep some of the more esoteric speculations), likewise some of Vifa & Fostex's surround designs, to name but two.

Note the location & shape. It will certainly modify the cone resonance & is also likely there to help damp transverse reflections back from the surround edge. There are many variations on this theme (to a point EnABL is one of them, if you sidestep some of the more esoteric speculations), likewise some of Vifa & Fostex's surround designs, to name but two.

The Eikona 2 has four pieces affixed to the edge of the rear of the cone as well. I believe they are neoprene.

To me I think the gurus at Coral are really really clever. There's another 2 things that stand out on close examination.

1. The surround if I'm not mistaken, is made from very thin Silk cloth.
2. The cone is super stiff. Read that it was coated with some sort of corn starch mix.
What's very unusual here is the texture on the front side of the cone. It feels very
rough just like sand paper. Makes one wonder why & what effect does it bring.

While most people speak good things about the Flat or Beta series, to my ears they have miss out this true Coral treasure. You still can buy them at reasonable price.
Spec wise maybe nothing to shout about but how many speakers are there that does 90db, can go down to 40hz & easily up to at least 10khz without a sweat, sounding very good & smooth at the same time.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.