best full range drivers regardless of the price?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You mean besides terrible beaming above 3kHz and horrible distortion below 100Hz :)

We're talking full-range drivers. What's "horrible" about 2nd and 3rd order distortion reaching 1% at 70Hz at 90dB on an open baffle? The Mark Audio drivers and even many 8" full range drivers and woofers I've seen measured do worse.

And yeah, again, we're talking full range drivers. Which doesn't beam?

Last edited:

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
What I hear is not what you hear and it also isn't what he hears. We are all different, physically and preferentially.

Consensus of anything being the "best" is a myth. And people will always bias towards the most expensive if you give an imaginary unlimited budget.

Perhaps if you instead asked what people have found themselves really liking and the reasons for it? I suspect you'd get some worthwhile answers.

Last edited:
Perhaps the criteria should be filtered to include only drivers currently in production and readily “available” to interested parties through above ground supply chains?

Is Feastrex still in business? A functional if not zombie website is one thing, but having inventory or production and distribution channels is quite another.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
... the Eikona 2 …

No full range speakers have their combination of qualities: they go very low (into the 30's and 20's), they have a smooth midrange, extended highs, no ringing, and very low distortion across the spectrum.

The metal Alpairs come in second (at almost 1/4 the price), but none of them handle bass like the Jordan or EAD drivers. They go higher, but -- to my ears -- not as cleanly.

I have yet to complete comparions, but I have heard something that sounds like ringing with Eikona in the Hawking Obelisk, and while they go low, they do not do bass as well as Pluvia 11 in Frugel-horn XL — and the Pluvia is not noted for going low.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
What I hear is not what you hear and it also isn't what he hears. We are all different, physically and preferentially.

Consensus of anything being the "best" is a myth. And people will always bias towards the most expensive if you give an imaginary unlimited budget.

This deserves expanding on.

Loudspeakers are so poor (even the best) that it is possible to have 2 very valid drivers that sound quite different.

dave

Interesting topic. I have recently moved to full range drivers in FAST configuration as documented elsewhere on this forum. The 8" full range drivers I use cost $600 per pair and sound fine to me, is someone able to explain to me the insane prices of 'exotic' full rangers such as AER, Voxativ, Supravox etc. How can these things be worth thousands of dollars for a single unit? Are they really a whole lot better?

The spiderless Alpair 5.2 is arguably the finest 3" driver available and the soon to come 7MS and 11MS should be extremely good. These drivers will not be inexpensive but I doubt that throwing a lot more money at drivers will buy you anything significantly better while staying full range.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.