Best finish for speaker cabinets?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Reality check

Physical properties of finishes aside for now the idea that a thick walled loudspeaker can have it's sound effected by it's particular choice of finnish is a little suspect.

A musical instrument such as a guitar or a violin has a wall thickness of less than .100" in places. In that situation the film thicknes plus the film penetration into the wall itself do have an effect on the sound. You end up with an almost constrained layer effect with the finnish imparting a degree of surface tension to the instrument body.

In a loudspeaker box of conventional design there are not the same wall thicknesses. Therefore to make such an analogy is not exaxtly reasonable. I'm not saying that a surface tension cannot be created in a thin walled loudspeaker enclosure. Or even a thick walled loudspeaker enclosure. It's just not talking about apples and apples. More like grapes and pumpkins.

P.S. There have been some very good advice given on the application of cabinet finishes by myself and others in many other threads. Do a search before asking all the same questions again.

Mark

My dad builds guitars as a hobby and uses french polish on them. His guitars sound ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT no joke, and they also look amazing. I french polish my speakers when I can be bothered to. Problem is f polishing takes time, which is not a problem, except I cant live without my music for that amount of time :D

Hi all,

I was tinkering about in 3SMax the other day designing speaker enclosures and came up with this one - it's based around Seas Excel 6.5" mid/bass units and I was thinking of paring them with Aurum Cantis G2's - the small square silver ones (I can't quite afford R1's!). Anyone have any idea on how these should sound? They'll be active, crossed over at about 3kHz 24dB/oct.

I posted here so you could check out the finish and tell me what you think - I'm not trying to threadjack!

(Sorry about the lack of tweeter in the rendering - I've not yet made a scale version for the design).

Also anyone have any view on the cabinet - i.e. ported, sealed, tranmission line - or maybe something more exotic?

Attachments

• speaker design0030.jpg
    speaker design0030.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 496
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.