"Best" film cap you've never heard of?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Bang for the budget? Sonicap Gen 1 for balanced and Gen 2 for more lush. The teflon Platinums are excellent as well, but more boutique prices.

Thanks, I'd seen them before on a site and almost forgotten about them. Prices are good, unfortunately shipping amounts may not be very competitive being from outside Europe. When I need some stuff, I might try and make an order.

Really a capacitor can't sound that much better than my pair of Solen's, since I had an identical (or almost) sounding DAC that was DC coupled

Not wanting to start any argument or extended discussion (you'll win it by default on post count alone :)), have you considered that your experience may be limited to an extent by the quality of your sources? As an extreme example, if you use an Ipod as a source there may be small to nil difference between "no cap" and a pretty mediocre cap. If your source is a top flight analogue rig the outcome may be very different.

Solen Fast 1uF 250V 3,87€ (Banzai Efffects)
Mundorf MCAP 1 uF 250V 2,25€ (Banzai Efffects)
Mundorf MCAP Zn 1,2 uF 250V 13,61€ (Banzai Efffects)
Audyn Cap MKP-QS 1 uF 250V 2,25€ (Strassacker)
Audyn Cap Plus 1 uF 800V 6,40€ (Strassacker)
Audyn Cap Sn 1 uF 250V 10,20€ (Strassacker)
Obbligato Copper 1.0uF 630V 8$ (DIYHiFiSupply)

To me not a single one of these caps are for 'rich' and particularly the Obbligatos are probably the best 'bang for the bucks'

The 'boutique' caps are the ones costing much more than this, like 100$/60€ and more.

And yes, they sound a LOT better, just try them ;)

The most transparent (e.g the more similar to DC coupling) is better for me, If I'd wanted an euphonic and seductive sound I would have chosen a Wima MKP10... :D

why 250V or higher voltage ratings caps chosen instead of lower voltage ratings?

Not wanting to start any argument or extended discussion (you'll win it by default on post count alone :)), have you considered that your experience may be limited to an extent by the quality of your sources? As an extreme example, if you use an Ipod as a source there may be small to nil difference between "no cap" and a pretty mediocre cap. If your source is a top flight analogue rig the outcome may be very different.
I have a very good DAC (tweaked by myself with the best opamps, the OPA1611, and better caps). :)

If it were so, how come the Wima MKS2 is so un-transparent, un-controlled and hard in the treble when compared to the Solen? :)

If it were so, how come the Wima MKS2 is so un-transparent, un-controlled and hard in the treble when compared to the Solen? :)

The MKS is a great example for a cap audible even through an Ipod :)

Amusing as it may seem the MKS (4) also have their staunch supporters. Not sure about their attitude towards Solen but won't be too surprised if they consider them a complete waste of money.

Amusing as it may seem the MKS (4) also have their staunch supporters. Not sure about their attitude towards Solen but won't be too surprised if they consider them a complete waste of money.
I know and I don't think they're rubbish. :)

However I liked the MKP4, warm, rich and smooth... I doubt the MKS4 is better. Actually I have bought a few MKS4 for bypassing the Nichicon Muse FG's inside my amp (if I decide to do it, along with changing its opamp).

I don't know how the Solen could be considered inferior to any Wima :)

You do sound like a capacitor fanatic, just like me with opamps, maybe worse. :p

Really a capacitor can't sound that much better than my pair of Solen's,
So you see, maybe we're overstating it a little. Perhaps we're a bit addicted. :D

No Andrea I don't think myself as a caps fanatic :spin:

I've simply tried some caps and opamps as well modifing my various audio gear and reported what was best in my case.

Unless you'll try you'll never know for sure... ;)

The Solen's are
They are much better than the Wima MKS2 which I thought were just fine until then. So I believe that coupling capacitors must not get much better than this, unless you desire some peculiar (on the whole less natural) sonic character.

Too me seems like:

"NE5532 is used in quite all studio audio gear so the right sound must be that one"

"I don't think that cables makes any difference"

"caps with the same dielettric sounds the same"

etc.

:D

BTW, I have found that mellowing down the sound a little through a coupling cap (as opposed to DC coupled) may be desirable, rather than not. I wasn't even 100% convinced that DC coupled my Musiland SVDAC05 sounded better, as opposed to with a pair of Siemens (I think) film caps in the signal path.
Heck, I even think that the Muse FG 10uF 50V electrolytics my amp has in the signal path sound really good. :p

Listening evaluation of a dac/pre/ampli with DC coupling is essential to eliminate all flaws that can be fixed, the right coupling cap could mask flaws that you can't, or won't, fix... ;)

Also the Silmics in my SACD player were sounding very good, a white MCAP openend a window on sound, a black MCAP Zn a whole new world of sound...

Not wanting to start any argument or extended discussion (you'll win it by default on post count alone :)), have you considered that your experience may be limited to an extent by the quality of your sources?

Mmh, something similar gone through my mind as well... :D

why 250V or higher voltage ratings caps chosen instead of lower voltage ratings?

Ananlog_SA is right ;) :

Probably because lower ratings are not available.

Haven't had a CDP since the eighties. No opamps in my DAC at present; the last ones i used were THS4031.

I was talking to ClaveFremen... anyhow the THS4031 isn't an opamp I'd listen through - it's not natural sounding.

I'd much rather listen through a Wima MKS2, which certainly doesn't introduce such deviations from a natural (and musical) sound :)

Last edited:
Well, ClaveFremen mentioned the OPA2132 - it's an average opamp, with smallish soundstage yet a good midrange, if slightly lacking smoothness. The OP132UA (x2) would bring an improvement (balance, transparency, ambience) that I doubt any coupling capacitor (vs. an already good one) can approach.

The OPA1611/1612 is another class :)

The Solen caps let through about everything, they don't smooth things out so the DAC, opamps etc. must sound good :)

I'd be curious to know what opamps your CD player has inside. :)

I was talking to ClaveFremen... anyhow the THS4031 isn't an opamp I'd listen through - it's not natural sounding.ì

Well, ClaveFremen mentioned the OPA2132 - it's an average opamp, with smallish soundstage yet a good midrange, if slightly lacking smoothness.
The OPA1611/1612 is another class :)

Hi Andrea,

originally inside my Sony SCD-555ES there was OPA2132 I/V, OPA2132 summing amp,LM6172 in the GIC filters, OPA2132 output buffer.

Since all opamps are SMD... I've had no change to try different ones so the only opamp change I've done is the I/V one, I've used THS4032.

Since A/B comparison is not possible I can't say for sure but to me it seems an improvement, altough I've expected a bigger one...

This opamp needs rail to rail decoupling and stiff decoupling to ground to sound right, without it seemed unnatural to me too.

I'm waiting samples of OPA1612 but the expected availability is for March :(

But the opamps are not the only indicator of quality, at least as important, if not more, is the PS quality of gear and also important is the digital part of the player.

The Sony SCD-555ES (it's not the USA CD-changer) is built like a tank with stiff regulated PS and shunt regulator for opamps.

My Marantz SR-5500 receiver is used as pre and all opamps are changed to OPA627 (Front amp)/OPA2132 (dac, others channels)/LM6172(buffers)

My power amp for front channels is a part optimized MyRef designed by Mauro Penasa (It's an incredible amp!)

My front speakers are Infinity Alpha 40 with parts improved crossovers (Mundorf Supreme for tweeters, Mundorf MCAP Zn/white MCAP for mids, Audyn MKP-QS for woofers)

Also very important are the filter caps around opamps and the decoupling caps also.

All my gears use Silmics for decoupling (and for coupling if there's no place for film caps, like in the receiver) and Wima FKP2 for filtering.

Last edited:
I bypassed the THS4031/4032 power supply well... it's not that, it's that it lacks tonal richness, and has an excess of openness in the midrange. Thus it sounds "washy", something like that... both the THS4031 in my DAC, and the THS4032 in an amp I had.

For me, the OPA2132 (better the P variant, not PA/UA) is preferable as it sounds more natural. But I prefer other chips...

The THS403x may be very good for I/V conversion, though.

Instead I really dislike the LM6172 - cold, crude...

Last edited:
After years of tweaking I still haven`t heard any cap with less sonic appearance than the Intertechnik KP-SN tinfoil when it finally opens up. Wery dry the first 3-4 years (ok, a joke; weeks) but just be patient..

My old Multicaps also did a great job as DC-fiters.

I`m using them as DC-filters and in speakers for the upper drivers, while Solen MKP`s (3x630V) does it for the low end.

In my opinion the Mcap Supremes is even more grainy or foggy than the Solen MKP`s, wouldn`t risk my reputation on reselling them so I threw them in the garbage.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.