best encl. volume for Eminence Lab 12 in a sealed sub?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Rewind,

I'll attach a Hornresp simulation (it's a tad larger, but it doesn't matter here):

Regards,

Attachments

• LAB12CB.txt
    975 bytes · Views: 49
  • LAB12_CB_SPL.JPG
    LAB12_CB_SPL.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 468
  • LAB12_CB_Displacement.JPG
    LAB12_CB_Displacement.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 425
  • LAB12_CB_SPL_Max_Tool.JPG
    LAB12_CB_SPL_Max_Tool.JPG
    152.5 KB · Views: 416
Hi Rewind,

Post #22: "...what can I do with it?"

Hi Rewind,

Hornresp can help you to determine what the maximum input voltage to the speaker should be.

Set Eg to a value where Xmax is not exceeded within the desired passband, and take a look at individual sample frequencies in the SPL graph, and see that the rated speaker power is not exceeded.

If you use the 'Filter Tool', e.g.: 30Hz 2nd HP, the displacement will now peak @ 9.5mm/38Hz; then you can see how much more Eg you can dial in to get the displacement back up to Xmax, and if the new power exceeds rated power...

Regards,

P.S.: Get the 2nd driver/sub. It's only money. :)

A friend of mine has two ported 12" on each side that retail for $2000, so I know what you are talking about. The sound was immense and shook his whole house. But he was complaining that most room correction software thinks of the sub as one unit,even when they are placed a long distance apart.

When he visited me and my puny and slightly broken lab 12 sub, he heard more clarity in the bass. Without realizing it he was not hearing the Lab12, but rather the two excellent alnico 15" from JBL, that I use from 65-440Hz. He uses 8" midbass speakers in a rather cheap B&W, and I always nag at him to fix something better between the four 12" subs and the B&W speakers. Another friend with Martin Logan CLS electrostatic panels has the same problem and he also denys that anything sounds off. Subwoofers ain't everything, but it can be nice when they are working properly.

I will experiment with Hornresp. Since you are at it, how would you modify the Lab 12 enclosure with the help of hornresp? That is the title of this thread, to find a good cabinet for the Lab12.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.