Best electrolytic capacitors

I have seen caps used in applications by having a higher voltage or uf rating to gain lower esr and allow the amp/dac/tv to perform as it needs to.
What Andrew is saying is that the circuit may likely only need something of a lesser value.

If you could get the specs from the manufacturer's site;
Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors-capacitor manufacturers-Cosonic Enterprise Corp.
Then you could find an equivelent based on the combined specs.

Well, since the Cosonic people seem not to be answering, and since I want to get my phono preamp fixed, I decided to buy an assortment of caps from Digikey that will all meet the needed form factor. I was able to get 1000uF and a couple of 2200uF varieties, all meeting the other specifications I could get from the cap body (max temp etc). I got

Nichicon PW 2200uF
Rubycon ZLH 2200uF
United Chemicon KZE 1000uF
Nichicon PW 1000uF
Panasonic FC 1000uF
and just for kicks a Kemet ESY 1000uF

While I can appreciate some of the recommendations regarding the prospect of possibly being able to use a lower value cap, without a schematic and a clear understanding of the circuit design I want to try and stay with equivalent rated replacement parts. I picked from the available parts the ones that had low ESR and high ripple current ratings - I hope that is the correct set of assumptions*. I would love to know the impedance, dissipation factor, and ripple current of the old cap, but without them I have to try my best with caps that have been spoken of for use in the same circuit type.

Any thoughts for which one to start with?

*although I've read that for this cap position in a LM317T / LM337T circuit it may actually be better not to use caps with very low ESR because of HF problems. Hope I don't run into that here.

Jensen Axial Electrolityc Caps

I am considering to upgrade power supply side in my 14 years old Amp by upgrading caps. It presently has Nichicon VX(M) with KimberKap as bypass caps . I plan to replace them with Jensen Axial Electrolytic cap with Jupiter HT Cu foil as bypass cap .
I want to know from you guys here will this be a good upgrade towards improvement in sound ?
I did not find much mention of Jensen Axial Electro caps in this long tread , so I am particularly more curious to know if I am going in right direction or not .
Thanks

Nippon/United Chemi-con caps

... I was able to get 1000uF and a couple of 2200uF varieties, all meeting the other specifications I could get from the cap body (max temp etc). I got

Nichicon PW 2200uF
Rubycon ZLH 2200uF
Nichicon PW 1000uF
Panasonic FC 1000uF
and just for kicks a Kemet ESY 1000uF

I picked from the available parts the ones that had low ESR and high ripple current ratings - I hope that is the correct set of assumptions*. I would love to know the impedance, dissipation factor, and ripple current of the old cap, but without them I have to try my best with caps that have been spoken of for use in the same circuit type.

Any thoughts for which one to start with?

*although I've read that for this cap position in a LM317T / LM337T circuit it may actually be better not to use caps with very low ESR because of HF problems. Hope I don't run into that here.

Interesting seeing the KZE here. :) I saw something a while ago here.

Sometimes I buy the LXV, LXY, LXZ and SXE series, also because I can get them in a shop not far from home, and when I don't want to wait or paying further shipping cost. :)

Interesting seeing the KZE here. :) I saw something a while ago here.

Sometimes I buy the LXV, LXY, LXZ and SXE series, also because I can get them in a shop not far from home, and when I don't want to wait or paying further shipping cost. :)

I find it interesting to see KZE in list because they won't fit :D (absolute maximum sizes were posted, KZE is bigger then those?)

I find it interesting to see KZE in list because they won't fit :D (absolute maximum sizes were posted, KZE is bigger then those?)

Well, there is a little bit of space on either side of the board before you reach the inner wall of the enclosure. I could fit it if I wanted to.:smash:

The actual absolute maximum space is on the order of 1.75", but the maximum "practical" space is about 1.45". I looked at that after my original posting.

Last edited:
I got the batch of replacement caps yesterday. I bought 4 of each under the assumption I'd want to pick the two best matched caps of whichever variety I decided to use.

I measured each cap on both my Cap meter and ESR meter. Others may have seen this, but of the brands I bought the Pannys had the largest degree of both cap value variation and ESR variation.

I got the batch of replacement caps yesterday. I bought 4 of each under the assumption I'd want to pick the two best matched caps of whichever variety I decided to use.

I measured each cap on both my Cap meter and ESR meter. Others may have seen this, but of the brands I bought the Pannys had the largest degree of both cap value variation and ESR variation.

I haven't seen it, is there a big range or a small and even smaller range? I have read sometimes that certain types always have lower capacitance, like Nichicon KZ always is on low side of specced capacitance including tolerance%.

The Pannys were all in the 965-980uF range, lower than the rated value. The Nichicons were almost all dead on or were a bit higher, but all very close - within a few uF of each other. The Rubycons were also very good. The Kemets are the worst in measuring their rated value, very low and wide variance.

But now I feel like I'm in handcuffs - I don't know which one to use. I've read through all the threads here, read through dorkus' and jeaneda's web pages. Panny is good, Panny sound "electrolytic". Rubycon is the worst, Rubycon is quite good. Nichicons are good, Nichicons have HF resonance.. you get the picture.

Assuming a well designed LM317/LM337 PS stage (I have to hope Plinius designed a decent device), what do I do -

Nichicon PW 2200uF
Rubycon ZLH 2200uF
Nichicon PW 1000uF
Panasonic FC 1000uF

Help!