• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Best EL84pp kit??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm thinking of building a PP EL84 kit to drive a pair of Epos ELS3 spekaers in a small computer room/Den.

1. Triode Electronics(DIYTube) St35 kit
Complete DIYTube Dynaco ST35 Tube Amplifier Kit Great Amp for iPod

2. Dynakit parts ST35 kit
Product Detail: ST-35 KIT (120 VAC)

3. Gabevee MAG-1515 kit
The MAG-1515 Power Amplifier

So what would you guys think? Whats the better choice, the Dynaco clone or the Magnavox clone? Also do you think my 4ohm 87db/w speakers will give these amps a hard time?
thanks

Attachments

• SP-P 009_sm.jpg
    SP-P 009_sm.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 878
  • SP-P 008_sm.jpg
    SP-P 008_sm.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 868
Thanks everyone for the input. I saw the Tubelab simple PP amp while researching this project but according to the website the PCB is not available at this time. Id really like to stick to something thats available in kit form or at the very least a PCB. My only diy tube experience was years ago my father and I built a Bottlehead Foreplay and Decware Zen. Im confident I can handle a kit and possibly a bare pcb but I don't think my DIY skills are good enough to build an amp from just a schematic. Thanks again.
Frank

I saw the Tubelab simple PP amp while researching this project but according to the website the PCB is not available at this time. Id really like to stick to something thats available in kit form or at the very least a PCB.

I have about 90 of them sitting on the shelf. I have been selling them for a few months. I guess I need to fix the web site, but I have been chained to my computer for 10+ hours a day at work, so I can't seem to sit in front of one at home now. I have a deadline at work that requires most of my time until July 12. If I am succesful with a very ambitious prototype project, I will probably be rewarded with continuing deadlines and more long hours. If not.....

I have all the parts for stuffing the PC board too. I need about a day to figure out where Sherri left off in organizing the kits.

Sales of all of the boards is down to about 1 board per week total which is an all time low. Friends in similar hobby based businesses report similar situations.

There is a Tubelab forum here on diyAudio where members can discuss Tubelab based amps and post pictures of their projects. There are a few finished Tubelab P-P amps there.

I have a dual mono Simple P-P amp about 90% finished that is sitting on my workbench, but I haven't had the time to finish it. This amp will crank about 50 WPC, and will be "different".

NEONTHECAT what transformers did you use in your simple PP?

All the xfmrs are made by Edcor USA. They are very reasonably priced for the quality you get. On my SP-P I used #CXPP25-8-7.6K (2 req) for the OPT's and #XPWR008 for the power xfmr. See their website for all the listings and ordering information.

And as noted in subsequent posts, George is selling the SP-P boards.
Read up on the SP-P over on the Tubelab Forum. Several of us have already built them, with several more under construction. Very easy to build with great performance.

I did the DIY st-35 using the trafo's from a sca-35. No complaints, good sound. Even drove my NHT 2.4's fairly well. What really amazed me is when I first fired it up, I threw in a bunch of hodge-podge miss matched tubes and they all biased in and the sound was pretty good. Cheers

George:

I think we can all appreciate how harried you find currently yourself, and that the Tubelab is a diversion (you might have thought "sanity-break" from your real job, or potential retirement gig, but perhaps are now second guessing that ? :eek: )

Anyways, since it's likely easier for you to post quick replies here rather than the laborious revisions required to your site, whenever you get a chance to confirm status kits/boards etc would be great.

I recently sent an e-mail care of the website ( before I fully understood the situation ), and would still be interested in a Simple PP kit for an upcoming rebuild project.

take care

Another vote for the Simple PP here, great channel separation, detail, dynamics, deep bass, very clean sound, I'm smitten. It sounds really pleasing, accurate and realistic. To keep this post in perspective, its the only EL84 PP amp I've heard. The amp is very capable, and the final result may depend on the OPT's used. I added LED's as cathode loads for the output tubes in the RLD fashion, but fixed bias may achieve the same result. Even as a standard self-biasing amp it is very good, when I first built it I was very surprised a tube amp without sand could sound that good.

Ian.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.