Best Driver?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am looking for the best full range driver... I know "best" is normally a subjective term, however what I'm interested in is a driver that meets the following criteria:

1. Low cost (maybe around $100/driver?)
2. True full range (like Loather) 30-20k or very close
3. High efficiency for a low power tube amp (3w/ch @ 8ohms)
4. Low Qts for a horn design

I love Lowther, but they are expensive for me. Because I am on a fixed income. Any help would be awesome. Thanks

no best - period, and certainly will be tough to meet all 4 items on your list - unless you stumble upon a "garage sale" price on something exotic

of significance in shortening the list of candidates likely to meet a reasonable compromise might be - exactly how large a horn were you anticipating?

It doesn't have to be a low Q unit for a back horn, although since you mentioned a 3w valve amp with a presumably high output impedance it's probably a good idea.

Anyway, what was said above; in roughly that price range the FE206En is probably the obvious choice, and shares some overall characteristics with Lowthers.
You mean you just scale the horn to fit the Qts? Like a big vent reflex-ish thing?

Slightly of topic tangent I know, but I always wondered this: Fostex off-axis plots always have three readings. Two solids and one stippled. Are the two off-axis ones 15 and 30 degrees as standard? Anyone know?

Well, you ideally design for the actual system Q rather than just the bald driver Q itself. So if you stick a mid - higher Q driver on the end of an amplifier that already has a high output impedance, watch the necessary cabinet [horn] size rocket.

Re the Fostex plots, I think so but don't quote me, I'm still not firing on all four.

wow... was just looking at those. they may be the right answer for me.

I have the Betsy K and like them a lot. It's not the end all be all of fullrange or extended range drivers but quite nice for the price. If you want to order them I suggest going into the vendor forum and contacting them via pm as their email on their website didn't work the 3 times I've tried.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The FE166En should also be considered. A bit less expensive, won’t go quite as low and isn’t quite as efficient, but the horn for them is a little less imposing (for FE206En, for FE166En). We recently built a set of Victor & used FF16wk. It is figured to out perform FE166En (and FE166eSR) in this enclosure. A bit less efficient, a bit better bass.’

Victor-FF165wkS.jpg

dave

I was rethinking the horn thing... I was checking out the OB designs and listening to a comparison on Youtube, and I am thoroughly impressed with OB. I NEVER thought OB would sound like that. I am sure I would need more power though (even with that fairly high efficiency of the Betsy(K) than 3W/ch... does anyone else have an opinion on that?

My room is tile, in an apartment.

Hello there is no best driver,
over my 40 years developing,
i found the SICA 208.38 1100 will fit your need.
Sica Breitbandlautsprecher LP208.38/1100 8 Ohm

i take a few horns with the driver look my HP
SCHALMEI sat, SAxophon, Posaune XL, RDH20

Thanks for the suggestion, but 60-17000 Hz is not full range to me... it must go to 20k on the high end and as low as possible on the low end (Like Lowther... 30hz or very close)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.