Best DAC chips

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am in the process of finishing off designing my DAC and was wondering which would be the best DAC chip to use and would it be worth implementing the upsampling chip from AD?

The DAC chip I had considered is the BB PCM1794, hardware control is nescessary as I have no idea and no desire at the moment to learn how to create a micro controller. This chip looked like a very nice choice but unfortunately I cant get samples of it and i cant find anywhere to buy the chips from.

What other choices would you guys recommend I look at aswell as the 1794. I have contacted BB about requesting a sample and they said it would be possible but id have to wait for the samples inventory to be made. I got the impression this was going to take place but has not yet.:xeye:

Anyway any chips you have used and like I will be glad to hear about. I like a smooth, detailed expansive enveloping sound if that helps.

Cheers Matt

I had not seen the 98 version, as that has pin compat with the 94 maybe the 98 would be a good choice then at a later date when I can get hold of a 94 I can swap.

On paper the 94 looks slightly better then the 98 but who knows, in real life you may not be able to tell them appart.

Interesting, I think Ill have a crack at my own version first off ive almost done the PCB t'day and already have everything needed to make it appart from the silicon and components. Ie I have the PCB materials, caps for PS and two traffos, one for digital and one for analog. If mine fails badly then I could consider their DAC.
Its good to hear that tha 1794 is well received, I know the David Allcock absolutely raved about the Musical Fidelity design using this or the 92 chip, so it all looks good.

I should get something better then my aged Teac D1 dac then, which I already think sounds pretty good.

I think Ill have a crack at my own version first off ive almost done the PCB t'day and already have everything needed to make it appart from the silicon and components

Right you are! Much more fun that way....

Cheers,
Bas

PS...It seems the Musical Fidelity 21 DAC which uses the 1792 makes quite nice music as well...Particularly in the speakers dissapearing trick...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.