• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

best current production el34

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It depends on what you mean by "best". In my experience I've used a ton of the JJ E34L's with great results. I have not had a failure in a guitar amp in a long time. I used to change them after about 6 months of use when we were using them in our Marshall guitar amps(run rather hard into Marshall Power Brake) but they last much longer in a less strenuous application like Robby's Sovtek Mig 60 which is used for clean power, I change them every couple of years in that amp and that seems to be reasonable. If used for hifi I'd say that they will last a long time.

Recently I tried the EH EL34's in a Marshall rack mount power amp that I'm repairing for a guy and they seem to be pretty nice they bias easily and it sounds good. I can't say how long they last but I've had good results from other EH power tubes that I've used, 6V6, 300B, 6550. I didn't care for their 12AX7 soundwise but reliability wise I'd say that they are fine.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.