Best class D amp for studio monitoring and brutal revealing nature

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I thought we were talking monitors in general. The things I'm on about are main monitors ie a bit on the large side.;-)

I don't think the most expensive Quested Audio monitor is quite as cheap as you think:
Quested HM415 - Active - Single - Vintage King Audio

Notice that the price is for a single speaker!
But it does include 3 stereo power amps and the crossover.

As for the ATC $15000 amp: The amp is stereo (six individual amps), each SCM150 contains half of that and without the machined aluminium enclosure which I suspect is very expensive by itself.

thanks for infos as I said I didn'see that hm415 in some other sites ;)

A user said the the Hypex sound polite in the high frequencies, is it true ? :O

Do you know what amp is used in the ATC 150 ?? please ?:)

Not sure what polite means in terms of audio, but basically they neither add nor subtract anything. So if I had to use a non technical term it would be "honest"

Another interesting paper: http://www.linearaudio.nl/Documents/Volume_1_BP.pdf

thanks for infos as I said I didn'see that hm415 in some other sites ;)

I'm not surprised as the market for these things must be rather limited.
I know of one guy in Mexico who had 415s installed in his studio. Roger Quested himself came along to oversee the installation. This was included in the cost of the system, unlike Wilson Audio who charge an extra $20k for that AFAIK.

4x Volt RV3863 @ £440 each
1x Volt VM752 @ £530
1x Morel tweeter @ £200
3x Quested AP800 @ £2000 each
1x Quested AP1300 @ £3200
1x Quested SM748 @ £2500

I have so far not been able to figure out which 8" Quested is using so I'm not counting that one.

Not counting timber, fixtures and labour thats nearly £15000 or US$ 22 000 of hardware in each speaker.

also called neutral

btw, maybe have a look at UcD32MP, OEM module from Hypex
2x 30W, incl power supply

Yupz, that's another good description.

This particular amp has a THD+N of 1% at 25W and the original requirement from post #1 is 0.01% or less (actually aarvin2 stated less then THD 0.01 but I assume he means 0.01% THD+N). So I guess this amp is not an option, that's why I mentioned he needed at least a UcD180 from the Hypex range.

Last edited:
Yes ofcourse, that's also the reason I have a UcD400's powering my system, 0.004% THD between 2 and 60W. Normal listening levels for me.
The thd goes evaluated sure, but if it is not present (means you do not perceive), you should also consider other things that I can hear, has no sense to determine an amplifier, solely on the basis of thd (apart from that below 0.04%, a musician room from conservatory, not perceived).
then it's probably more important to talk about the features that I can feel, do not you think? obvius i ref to any amp's

Not taking the **** at all :) Just experimenting till I get the sonic characteristics I want :) ... as a noob you only have to read , and ask experts , then try :)

Before I was testing with a 2" speaker , but when I got it and listened to it, it wasn't what I was looking for ... so I moved on :)

Not taking the **** at all :) Just experimenting till I get the sonic characteristics I want :) ... as a noob you only have to read , and ask experts , then try :)

Before I was testing with a 2" speaker , but when I got it and listened to it, it wasn't what I was looking for ... so I moved on :)
just ask the experts?...
The amplifier that you are looking for ... does not exist!

The thd goes evaluated sure, but if it is not present (means you do not perceive), you should also consider other things that I can hear, has no sense to determine an amplifier, solely on the basis of thd (apart from that below 0.04%, a musician room from conservatory, not perceived).
then it's probably more important to talk about the features that I can feel, do not you think? obvius i ref to any amp's

Of course you are right, there's more to an amp than just it's THD. I personally look at F response, output impedance, THD+N, efficiency and most important how well it is documented so I can make an informed decision.

Of course you are right, there's more to an amp than just it's THD. I personally look at F response, output impedance, THD+N, efficiency and most important how well it is documented so I can make an informed decision.
Agree except on one thing.
A beautiful presentation with very nice test documented, this is what we all can do...my disagreement is about the terms of evaluation of an amplifier.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.