Best Caulking for speaker box building?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
"Accurately cut wood?

Seriously, I never use anything but plenty of glue in the joints."

I've noticed a number of people posting about caulking the inside corners of various speaker enclosures. Like pinkmouse, i've never caulked any speakers i've made. I usually smooth over any glue that has beaded up on the inside so it forms a very small fillet - seems to do the trick.

Scott

The man wants to know what caulk to use not that you guys are so good you don't have to use it.

Dominick,

Many different caulks will work well. Because you can't easily get inside the box once you have it sealed up, I recommend you use either a urethane based (leave for one day before closing box so it can gas off) or butyl (have lots of rags around to chase the strings) otherwise sold as acoustic sealant. Both of those are very durable in this application.

Hi Gregg,

I recommend against the use of any silicone based caulk including the paintable version mixed with latex.

Silicones require a good a mount of prep work before application and this is something I've rarely seen on the inside of a box.

Again, I believe the two to consider are urethane based or butyl. Both of these will adhere well and remain pliable for many years.

Caulk is good. Probably the low-cost option of choice. Construction adhesive will work, but has a shorter working life and will not wash off once it is dry. You'll have to use a solvent when it is "wet"....uhhh, like Cal said... There are many options, including high velocity duct sealant. This is used to seal HVAC ductwork. It will form a fillet and contains fibers for reinforcment to bridge across gaps.

why do you think you want to seal a speaker box? - look up atmospheric pressure variations - room pressure changes from storm fronts, maybe even wind gusts could move a truely "sealed box" driver beyond its Xmax

leakages with seconds time constants are better than hermetic seals

Cal, I use it because I have a container left over from a duct install job I did on my home. So, do a diy heat pump install for 3 grand and the goop is free!
Really, I got the material from my hvac source and think the gallon bucket was a little over $10. That's more than I'll need for awhile...I'd bet it could be found at the larger home supply sources.

...and another google hit with more goodies

http://www.designpoly.com/sealants.htm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.