Best Car High End Amps You Have Tried

I like Alpines too, I have an old 3518 that sounds really nice but just wish it was larger. People tell me it is not special, but it sure works nice. Have an older mrv-1002 and just looked at a newer mrv-t757. The 757 is all TO220 inside except the rectifiers while all the older Alpines I have seen only had TO220 in the PS if any, and not for outputs. But, not listened to it yet either.

well i've only listened to the bargain basement Power Acoustic TS-620-2 "plasma sphere" amps i bought for my bicycle trailer system and i'm actually pretty pleased with their sound.

they have nice extended treble that walks all over my old NAD reciever! as NAD is considered "high end", i'd say the comparison is fair. the amps don't have the ultimate low level resolution that my panasonic class-D reciever has, but they do have a nice enthusiastic dynamic sound.

my vote for ultimate high end would DEFINATELY be alpine or blaupunkt class-D. i love the hyperdetailed yet grainfree sound and superior imaging of class-D.

i love my panasonic & sonic impact amps.

some might not like class-D sound though as it isn't "exciting or warm" but i love it's speed and detail. i'll never buy a class A/B reciever again. BTW my panny also walks all over my onkyo too. it has better treble extension than that NAD, but after hearing the panny, i realized it had treble grain and nowhere near the midrange clarity.

maybe my power acoustiks are a mile from high end, but they don't have the treble congestion or grain i expected with my NHT's fussy softdomes so i'm happy with those. i bought them more for their "bling bling" plasma displays and their $40 closeout price.

Out of all the amps I have run here are the top ones that I have heard on the mids/highs from the old days.

Zapco 151 or 150 (2 or 3 piece amps)
McIntosh MC4000
Marantz 750A/P (seperate power supply and amps)
Nakamichi PA-400M's (take several of the mono amps and use stereo)
Yamaha YPA-800 (4 channel, one of the best I have used, and cheap)
Audiomobile (any)
Harmon Kardon CA-240

The best three of them were the Zapco, the Yamaha, and the Nakamichi PA-400M's that were used in stereo. (have to use several of these since they are mono amps.) ... The Yamaha YPA-800 is a 4 channel that IMO was the best sounding next to the Zapco's. It was a fairly cheap amp, but on 4 Nakamichi SP-400 plates, sounded amazing. A punch 45 per pair of 6x9's sounded pretty good too. Especially when you run several of them. Not really sq, but really loud...

for what its worth, jl audio 300/4

hi all,
ok my home setup is a nad 302 amplifier...this is my home reference...

in the car i have a jl audio 300/4. i own two of em actually..
i compete in iasca sound quality competitions,
came 1st in pro..cape town region last year with 358points,
looking at the south african championships which took place a week later in johannesburg,
looking at the scores, would've placed me in 3rd spot...

i simply think the 300/4 works well.. and in combination with my nakamichi cd700 and nakamichi mf51 shuttle. its absolutely stunning!

i seriously RATE this amplifier!

DLS make a awesome valve hybrid amp which apparently is very good. but very very expensive as manufactured in small quantitiy.

the 300/4 and all "/" "SLASH" serious jl audio amps have RIPS, regulated power supply, basically works with multiple rails..more or less ensuring the same output with anything between 10v and 13.8v input... good in a car environment.

as during the day the load on your power is less.. but at night..with aircon lights heater etc all on...the voltage can and most cases does on occasion drop to a smidgeon below 12volts..especially when sitting at a traffic light idleing..

just my 2c

cheers
anton
cape town,south africa

Wow... Yamaha YPA-800... that *was* quite an amp. I worked for a high end retailer in TX back in the early 80's and all of the Yamaha car equipment was really top notch.

Our delivery truck had a Yamaha head unit along with one of the smaller Yamaha amps and a 5.25 set with the titanium tweeters and it ran right up there with the a/d/s/ and Nakamichi gear we sold... really great sound.

Ah... memories...

early 80's car audio...

well being born in 1981 i cant say i can remember early 80's but however... mid to late 80's,some of the best cars sound wise was e.g 1985 230e mercedes...

i think the proper car audio equipment was only had by eliteist...at that time as we(south africa) were still in isolation (upto 1994 when nelson mandela became president)

but i do have vague memories... of these in-dash "boosters" with these funny eq like sliders, they were like 20w x 2 or something.... i think pretty much hardly more powerful than most headunits todays's built in amps...

i actually have a memory of my older brother (10yrs older) stashing his hifi speakers in the boot and connecting it to this "booster"/amp...

hehe
dont think i ever saw "car audio" as such in shops that time..simply think there wasnt really a market for it...
i ve been competing in iasca comps (sq) since 2000...but ive heard some of the ppl that have been competing longer and i think car audio as such actually starter here more like early 90's... we not behind anymore though..all DLS and JL equipment available here...zapco...rockford...audison etc etc

sorry for going WAAAY off topic!

cheers
Anton

if you want to go for vintage amps, i clearly remember soundstream being called "the best" for a while. they were so popular that they even started making home gear for a minute.

in case no-one's mentioned it yet, i'd bet a nickel that Mc Intosh amps can't be shabby as their home gear is treasured even on the used market. i couldn't believe it when i saw a mac amp at a local shop. it had the same look they've always used too... black glass with chrome trim and the infamous giant blue VU meters.

i'd bet they put the same care into their car amps as their home ones and that they are super solidly engineered and sound very good. if nothing else, you'd have a ton of snob appeal owning one of those giant monsters.

McIntosh car amps are the shiznit...

I think my favorite "feature" of mine is the absolutely silent background from the amp... I could put my ear right up to the tweeter with the volume turned up on the head unit and didn't get ANY hiss.

The build quality is awesome and most of them are fan cooled. Simply sublime...

ppia600 said:
My ppi's are silent (if I short the rca inputs) but my kenwood deck has a constant hiss level whether at volume 1 or max. It completely mutes at 0. Weird

i think for it to be silent you need a feature called zero bit mute that some alpines have as well as others.

some of my xtant amps like my 603x have a muting circuit too so if there is no music it mutes the output and you can adjust the sensetivity of it. it is a great amp that i hope to put back in service soon. i have tons of plug in modules for it.

My amps have the muting circuit built in... it has nothing to do with them even though I'm not using the ppi noise gate controller. The problem is the deck is sending a higher level of noise than signal when its turned really low... not all of the way down. (from level 1 to about 3) Its mainly when running jump drives with the usb cable so I think its something to do with those circuits. With cd I don't notice it. I also mentioned there is zero noise if I turn the deck all of the way down. Its not really a big deal but when its really quiet and I have it really low its noticeable. Heck, some of the kenwood excelon decks had the "zero bit mute" circuits WAY back, I think they may have been the first to integrate it into the deck. I remember back when I had CA&E subscription and they were drooling over it in one issue. Mine is an excelon x890, not sure if they use the muting circuits anymore. Someone here should know for sure.

DCPreamp said:
Hi There,

Having worked for Linear Power for two years back in the ‘90s, I can say that when they were installed and set up correctly, driven by a clean, high-voltage-out source, and running great speakers, they sounded very nice. Then again, so do most amps in the same situation. They fell apart with a lack of dampening factor, used a pretty mediocre amplifier topology and along with inefficient bi-polar switching devices, they lacked clarity and punch. They did use very good output devices, nice NE5532 op-amps, and very strong switching toroid cores. I left just after the development of the 8002iq (I hand carried the first prototype 8002iq in a box with a paper handle to the ’91 CES show in Vegas) (by the way, iq stood for one inverted channel and an output relay to “quiet” their horrendous turn on/off pop) and the 2.2HV and a few other models were still in the prototype stage. This was also not too long before their ultimate demise and subsequent sale to a couple of chuckle-heads who write emails like Neanderthals, but that’s a different thread.
Regards

DC, were you still at LP when they built the first proto To-3 amps for us at Soundwerks for teh Dynaudio Jimmy?

wow, those were pretty awesome.....

On another note, anyone remember the Canton Manframe amps that were class a momoblocks?

So, what does everyone think about the Diamond Audio amps? I've got an older D7 series (7056), 50Wx6. There's a lot of filtering (crossover options) on the front end, despite all the opamps, it's the most soundstage, grunt, and detail I've heard in a "stock" amp. By stock, I mean, unmodified in the DIY nature.

It's my understanding that some very talented engineers from PPI started Esoteric Audio, and Esoteric sold their design to Diamond for the D7 series. I don't really know why Esoteric ever dissolved...

I have also had great luck with the D5 series from Diamond. Replacing the opamps, power supply caps, and DC decoupling caps produce a fabulous sound. The story goes that the output stage that's on the D7 series was used for the D5 series.

I'm actually planning to modify my 7056 and bypass the filtering on the front end. They use quad opamps, and there aren't many "high end" replacement options, certainly not that compare with the "high end" dual package options that are available today. So, replacement would be costly, and I'm hoping for more... potential. I'm thinking I'll end up bypassing the filtering in the 7056, and replace it with my own filtering externally. The DCX2496 from Behringer is a very real possibility (upgraded/modified, of course ;) ). I'd like to use the DCX to handle the crossovers for high, bandpass, and sub frequencies. Ideally, it'll be a 4way setup with passive XO handling the splitting again of the aforementioned highpass from the DCX.

So, anyway... since I'm not familiar with popular mentioned items on this thread (Linear Power, JL Slash series, Alpine V12, Audison, older Class-A Sounstreams, or McIntosh), I'm wondering if anyone can put their A/B comparison hats on to give me an idea of what they're like compared to the Diamonds?

Thanks! :D

111Milbert_installed.JPG

MCC301M.JPG

The 2 best car amps I have ever used(together)

John C.

On another note, anyone remember the Canton Manframe amps that were class a momoblocks

I really liked Canton stuff but it was so rare that I have only seen one install and only a few products.

I remember they had a front stage setup that consisted of (2X) 4" drivers and a tweeter PER side. The setup was truly awesome but way out of my price range as a 16 year old.

I remember Canton had this very odd app setup that was a "rail" that could support small separate amp blocks that would snap in.....so you could have add a 100 watt section or 200 watt section to make your own configuration of mulit channel amps.

Never heard the amp but if it was anything like the odd separates they had it has to be good.

-JH