Best Car Audio Audiophile Head Unit You Have Used And Tried

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
bhostinsky said:
I see no one has mentioned the old Alpine 7909. They can still be found if one looks around. I use to run these back in the day when car stereo competition meant sound quality not quantity, and nothing else could touch them.

Brian

I have to agree. I loved the original 7909 pull-out, but the 30th Anniversary 7909L (non-pullout) had all the goodies. (Burr-Brown D-A Converters, etc., etc., etc.) I have not had the pleasure of hearing the new F1 Status CDA-7990 yet.

I met some Alpine engineers and sales reps. at the Detroit North American International Auto Show (NAIAS) a couple of years ago, and they tell me that the CDA-7990's product number was chosen to pay homage to the almighty 7909. :D

Steve

I've heard some good ones.

Yhe Nakamichi (Tuner Pre-amp) TP-1200 special shop unit from Japan is a souped up TD-1200 and lays waste to every other head unit. I compared it to a Modified Alpine 7909, I also owned both the McIntosh MX4000 with the outboard D/A as well as the McIntosh 406.

Frankly IMHO the McIntosh head units were easily outclassed by older analog Nakamichi units and even some of the more expensive Denon units. The digital grain of the MX4000 was awful. Allthat being said- the McIntosh Amps are a work of art and sound great too. Just don't bother at all with the head units- they are very pretty though in older German cars. But if you want to stare at your head unit instead of listening to it...you are reading the wrong thread.

You know, many kids might be reading this knowing full well they could not afford any of this gear and only would be able to lust after it. I can say with certainty that if they bought a older nakamichi TD700 and went through the Aux input for their other source they would get far better sound quality than just about any head unit you could buy today. BTW the TD500 is the same as a td 700 buthas the tape scan feature disabled (which you can enable if you go inside). A little better was the TD-1200 which had an unreliable tape mechanism- but a fine audio section as this was housed separately (And could be stashed outside of the electrically noise dash area)

Head units today focus on graphics and motorization and other things not intrinsic to sound quality. Quite sad realy. They know the average purchaser has little experience identifying quality sound and would be more swayed by marketing than sound quality.

Want great head unit sound? You really can't buy it in a head unit today at ANY price. They really don't sound good.

Don't bother with headunits.

http://uk.cinenow.tv/videos/601

Now select your d/a converter

This can stash in your locakable center console.

Best D/A units are made by Wadia. Period.

Don't waste money with the DCS Elgar. For the money Apogee makes a decent pro audio one http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/minidac.php
it can run on car voltage too, and has lots of noise filtration built into the power supply.

Icing on teh cake is you can also give it 24 bit 192k which betters CD quality.

You can also ring this into yoru home system for the same quality.

Sorry to put down todays headunits...but the emporor has been wearing no clothes for nearly a decade now.

Minty:
I have a TD-700 that has lasted me 20 years and it's still awesome. I was reading one reply and a guy said to run another head unit through the aux input. I have never seen that

I still have a TD700 as well, and it remains my all time favorite HU. I'm not aware of an AUX input on any of the TD-400/500/700 models.

In fact, because the 700's preamp is so sweet, I considered adding a line-input for a CD-only unit in order to retain the 700's volume and tone controls for the entire system.

Nak was kind enough to send me a complete (large) set of schematics for it at no charge. It's been a while since I looked it over, but IIRC there was a logical point to add an input at or about the buffer between the AM/FM/Cassette selector switch and the volume pot.

Trouble is, that chassis is packed full. It might be a royal pain just to go through the motions and get another cable inside.

Perhaps the replacement RD series units had inputs and the previous poster was thinking of these?

My kenwood kdcx890 supposedly has 24 bit d/a converters. I wonder how it compares to some of the more "audiophile" units. The tone controls and crossover settings are very comprehensive and according to the manual the sound quality increases when the internal amp is switched off (and it is)

Jexx said:
The Pioneer DEX-P1R has been my favorite for audiophile sound quality. But due to the lack of features (specifically mp3) I've moved on to a Clarion DXZ945MP which is really quite a stunning unit.

I also ran the P1R and for SQ it was great but I hated the display.

The specs on it were extremely high.

I used a Clarion Pro something which was their top model at that same time, I hated it compared to the Pioneer...

I also used an Excelon back in the day, but still Loved that Pioneer.

The best I've used (and still use BTW) is the Clarion DRZ-9255. I've used the sony's, pioneers, alpines, etc etc.
Heck, I even ended up liking the SQ on this deck even better than the Denon made Rockford RFX-8250 platinum that I had. The built in processing is a HUGE bonus on the DRZ9255. Car audio is a totally different beast than home audio. If you want to have a very good sounding system, your installation needs to have plenty of thought put into it, and you will almost certainly require some sort of processing. EQ-Time alignment, etc

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.