Best BOSOZ preamp parts selection thoughts

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As far as I see it, I might as well go the Avel route and get the 800VA toroid for $69, I believe I read in previous threads about current inrush issues, and that I'd have to install a circut to slow the inrush down, Ill look back. Given the voltage sag issue, would I get closer to the optimal output v if I went with the 50+50 or the 55+55 toroid?

kevyjo said:
Given the voltage sag issue, would I get closer to the optimal output v if I went with the 50+50 or the 55+55 toroid?

Hello Kevyjo,

If I were you, I played it safely. I would pick 55+55 trafo. The zeners should have an adequate amount of reverse current in order to operate at their specified voltage rating.

Btw, I'm designing my own pcb for BoSoZ. I have a question about the size of the caps. I plan to use WIMA MKP4 10uF for C1 and C2, and I see on their spec sheet that this cap's size is 41.5mm x 19 mm x 37.5mm (Width x Length x Lead spacing). Is the specs correct? I don't have the caps at the moment so I cannot measure the actual size. I don't know, but it seems to big in my PCB....

Thx!

As far as I understand it now dw, one transformer will work. I was looking at the Avel 800va 55x55 transformer because, if there is anything to the sonic benefits of overkill on current capacity of a torioid, the 800va has a massive 7.37A rating, and is no more expensive than the specified toroids. It's huge and heavy though, 14lbs, that doesnt bother me at all, but might bother some. It might be silly, but I feel like a big, heavy pre-amp will feel more "high end", but hey, it's my preamp, or will be hopefully, I might as well have fun with it.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I guess we weren't aware that you can buy from A-L directly.
On the Avel info sheet, at Parts Express they list much smaller 55 or 60 volt/leg transformers which I assume would be available from A-L. A 250 VA is still waaaaaay overkill, and even if their prices are higher than PE, would be the cheapest solution yet.

I bought two D4007s (if I remember correctly) from them. I can't remember the price but it was probably in the $40 range. These are the 30 VA 30-0-30 units (which I believe some people believe is underkill).

They have been quite willing to sell me a few pieces at a time. And I'm sure my purchases have not exactly "made their day".

SteveA

BOSOZ Transformer

Thanks guys for the pointers.

It sounds like a smaller transformer is in order. Perhaps the Avel Y series?

Power Secs Model
160VA 55 + 55 Y236506
250VA 50 + 50 Y236657
330VA 55 + 55 Y236755

I'm leaning towards the 250VA model. Any thoughts here would be helpful.

Just want to make sure I don't make a mistake.

Thanks,

-David

Actually thinking about this a little more... The Avel 120VA and 160VA both seem like a major overkill compared to two 30VA in series as originally specified.

Perhaps the 120VA model Y236457? I'll go with the 120VA or the 160VA depending on what's in stock.... Unless someone jumps in and stops me from doing something dumb.

-David

More Info....

I just spoke with a VERY friendly sales women at Avel and she said they are happy to ship directly to DIYer's. She asked how I heard of Avel, and I mentioned DIYAudio.com. Their number is +1(860) 355 4711.

The 120VA model Y236457 is $31.74USD and the 160VA model Y236506 is $35.26. Both are instock and ready to ship.

Thanks for everyone's help!

-David

BZLS Input

If you mean the Input VR, yes, you need 4 DACT or using Stereo VR to seperate R & L.

If you mean the Input Selector (using Selector board), then you need 2 Pole, 6 positions selector like the ELMA Type 04 (they have silver plated version and gold version). For wiring sample, check this one in Korean's DIYMANIA.net

http://www.diymania.net/pass/project/pic/passpre/pass-wire.gif

(Note: But beware, their XLR wiring is different than NP's)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.