Best base for top CD transport

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, I´m relativley new on this forum, but have followed a lot of discussions in the last weeks. Great poeple here !!!
What I´m looking for is to find a very good starting point to build a top CD transport. I do have an old marantz cd10, which I used only as transport. I have searched on this topic, but could only find 2 or so threads.
My CD 10 is moded with seperate 30 Watt powersupply for +/- 9V, and 2x 10Watt ps for 2 separate +5V, where one off is feeding the clock, which is a deltrain clock of DPA. (I used this transport with a DPA SX 256 DAC, which doesn´t work anymore).
But... the CD10 is getting old and I think when I´m reading here there could be a lot of other improvements. I had not done any mods on the pcb´s.
There are now some functions on my CD 10 which do not work any more (remote control, loading tray etc.) and this is the reason to search for a new (used) good staring point to do a top class transport. - I do like the sound of the old CDM4/CDM9 units.
Very other transport using the newer plastic drives sound thin and flat compared to the metal type CDM´s.
What are your proposals for a new starting point and what are the options to mod these CD-players or transports ??
Thank you all, EMW

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi emw,
Beware of transports you can't get parts for. Philips is terrible for this as many owners trying to get a replacement for the popular CDM4/CDM9 transports can attest. The newer VAM styles promise to be no different.

Sony makes or made some good transports, you can generally rebuild them. I'm sure there are others. Early on, NEC made some really solid transports. Long in the tooth and no parts.

-Chris

If you propose to repair this CD 10, what other improvements than the clock could I do ? i. e. caps on the pcb boards ?
An other weak aera I think could be the digital out - there is a long wire from pcb to the backside where the digiout is located.
Thanks for your help..EMW

anatech said:
Hi emw,
Beware of transports you can't get parts for. Philips is terrible for this as many owners trying to get a replacement for the popular CDM4/CDM9 transports can attest. The newer VAM styles promise to be no different.
-Chris

Guess that depends on where you are. Getting a cdm4 is easy over here, LOTS of them around for little money since everyone is replacing the cd player with a dvd one.

As for the CD10, i've replaced the laser of a cdm4/36 with a 4/19 without problems.

If you ever get a new player, i am interested in the cd10:D

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi guido,
I do Cyrus warranty and they can't get either type. CDM4 or CDM9. And they are based in England. You'd think it wouldn't be a problem. When they do get them, they are really expensive - like over $250 CDN, my cost.

-Chris

I got some players for free of for about 5 euro's with cdm2 or cdm4. The cdm4 was even sold nos for little money some time ago. Got me a few too. I've got enough to keep my players running for my lifetime (cdm2/4/12).

And there is always the "kringloopwinkel", which is a shop that sells stuff that other people bring to get rid of (they fix it). You can get a cdm2 based player for about 15 euro's there with a few months guarantee :D

My latest find there was a tandberg preamp for 15 euro's which i found after some googling for 150 in a hifi shop.... :)

As for cmd9 players, they are a bit harder to find i guess. But still enough of them. Have a look at www.marktplaats.nl under audio/cd spelers.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thanks guido,
Well that explains it. I need new transports for warranty or repairs.

Philips does not support them very long. Most of the manufacterers are trying to switch from Philips for that reason. The newer VAM series are terrible.

So for these reasons, I have to recommend the average user away from Philips product.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.