Best bang for my buck

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is my first post on this forum so...
Hello audio people !

I have this dilemma which maybe you can help me sort out.
Recently i decided that my old Logitech 5.1 system is sounding like garbage so it's time to improve the sound system in my small computer room and maybe try an amp + pasive "quality" speakers solution. Keep in mind that i`m poor and must make the most with my money.

Browsing the audio forums, quickly i found out that going for used amps is the way to go if the budget is limited, so after browsing the used ads i bought a nice looking Luxman L-2 33W stereo integrated amplifier from 1980 for about 60$.
After the amp, i bought a pair of Q Acoustics 3020 speakers 6Ohm, ~75W.
I was pretty happy with my setup for a while and now i want to see if i could do better to improve my sound also the Luxman is huge and generate some heat and i would like a smaller, cooler amp. I have a feeling that the amp is a bit underpowered too, i feel like the bass is not kicking like it should.

Looking for cheap solutions i`ve read about class D amplification technology and various circuits so that sparked my electronic and audio curiosities to try one.

My only encounter with a class D amplifier was with an Orange 25W guitar amplifier, but never heard a HiFi amplifier.
I have read about some circuits here on the forums like the:
FX-Audio TPA3250 based amp for 60$ or TPA3255 based amps.

Iraudamp7s + SMPS500r
Hypex stuff like the UcD180HG and so on..
My budget could stretch to about 150$.

All i`m looking for is a good sounding amp, mid powered in order to be able to drive my current speakers or bigger bookshelfs if i decide to upgrade the speakers at some point and some level of reliability.

Will any of these class D amp's sound better than my old Luxman or any other 100$ used solid state amps from the 80's to 90's(Kenwood, Yamaha, Onkio etc) or should i stick with my Luxman ? I really can't afford to experiment too much, so your input will be appreciated.

Also, don't be afraid to recommend me other class D solution that i haven't heard of. I`m from Europe btw.

Thank you in advance !

Last edited:
Hello Think, thank you for your feedback, but i have read in the TPA3250 thread that this chip is far superior to the 3116. As i said, my budget is around 150$ so i`m not looking for the cheapest solution possible, but for the most quality sound i can get in this price range.
Basically, i`m asking if there's a class D amp board + PS in this price range that can sound better than a second hand old stereo solid state amp/receiver.
Cheers !

Hello Think, thank you for your feedback, but i have read in the TPA3250 thread that this chip is far superior to the 3116. As i said, my budget is around 150$ so i`m not looking for the cheapest solution possible, but for the most quality sound i can get in this price range.
Basically, i`m asking if there's a class D amp board + PS in this price range that can sound better than a second hand old stereo solid state amp/receiver.
Cheers !

hi Abbathar

if you read this:https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/315681-tpa3250-listening-74.html#post5652627
its the journey of the FX502spro :p
but its about 60 euros and other mods + smps to get fine sounding amp.

the TPA3118/3116 are very cheap and easy to mod i read.....so its maybe the better solution for you.. amp board+ housing + connectors + smps....

chris

Hello chermann,
why the tpa3118/6 if the TPA3250 sounds better and its in my budget ?
Also, the iraudamnp7s + connex SMPS500r is in my budget.
Wouldn't that be a better choice? Why do everybody recommends the supposedly lower quality board? I just try to understand the logic, i`m not blaming you guys :)

Cheers !

Last edited:
You may wish to review and consider this:

Volt+ D (Double) 2x60W

It's a TPA3118 based amp, but with one chip per channel, effectively a pair of monoblocks.

A well implemented 3118/3116 is arguably better than a poorly implemented TPA32XX. Unless of course you're happy to invest the time, effort and risk of overcoming the poor implementation, ref chermann et al!

One thing you've yet to mention is your music source(s)?

Last edited:
You may wish to review and consider this:

Volt+ D (Double) 2x60W

It's a TPA3118 based amp, but with one chip per channel, effectively a pair of monoblocks.

A well implemented 3118/3116 is arguably better than a poorly implemented TPA32XX. Unless of course you're happy to invest the time, effort and risk of overcoming the poor implementation, ref chermann et al!

One thing you've yet to mention is your music source(s)?

thanks

that is the amp i remember !

Hey Yatsushiro,
The Volt+ looks like a nice implementation, i will definitely put it on my watch list. Do you think it will sound better than a conventional solid state receiver from a known brand or my Luxman amp ?

My source is PC + a Steinberger Ur22 audio interface(DAC).

Cheers !

Hey Yatsushiro,
The Volt+ looks like a nice implementation, i will definitely put it on my watch list. Do you think it will sound better than a conventional solid state receiver from a known brand or my Luxman amp ?

My source is PC + a Steinberger Ur22 audio interface(DAC).

Cheers !

yes i think so....:D
an additionlly mod at your DAC is in my opinion an extra PSU (5V)..... input on the back side

chris

$129.00 for the volt+ D??, better get tpa32xx then.

As the topic is called best bang for the buck, I recommended that.

A good tpa3116 board, 2 tops and a (sub)woofer will enjoy me more then 2 tops on 325x and you are done for half the money including the sub and power supply.

The difference to me is that the 3255 sounds more polished without losing details. I can tell the difference when I AB them, but can't tell if one or the other is playing when I walk into my room.

To me they both sound better then my best AB amp, the Yamaha AX-700. (sounds like there is a blanket over the speakers)
I had a Luxman amp and tuner years before I got interested in audio and had decent speakers, so can't compare to that.

Last edited:
Hi

sorry but i never listened to a 3116/3118 but i know the fx502spro and the YJTPA3255 boards.

it depends an the modding step but with just changing easily the opamps at the FX its better then the tpa3255 boards....but with my latest eveolution: "fake ampe" its getting closed to an F5 Clone
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/309813-wrong-tpa3255-77.html#post5701127
the F5 is still darker and the swing out phase of voices/instruments is still very good...

FX502sPro: is still a fine amp:
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/315681-tpa3250-listening-83.html#post5673628

a 3E board or a TI EVM board is an option ???? directly a t the TI store its about 150 euro......just the board..

chris

The TI EVM board is kinda expensive with shipping to europe and all.

Btw, i dont plan to use subwoofer. Strictly 2.0 stereo setup.
I`m glad to hear that the D-class stuff sounds better than your Yamaha AX700, that means that i will see an improvement when i`l switch from my Luxman.

I`m thinking of buying the FX502sPro and modding it. think this way is the most cost effective.

No input about the iraudamp7s + connex SMPS500r combo ?
I saw a clip on youtube where this guy said that this combo can compete with high end audio amplifier.

The TI EVM board is kinda expensive with shipping to europe and all.

Btw, i dont plan to use subwoofer. Strictly 2.0 stereo setup.
I`m glad to hear that the D-class stuff sounds better than your Yamaha AX700, that means that i will see an improvement when i`l switch from my Luxman.

I`m thinking of buying the FX502sPro and modding it. think this way is the most cost effective.

No input about the iraudamp7s + connex SMPS500r combo ?
I saw a clip on youtube where this guy said that this combo can compete with high end audio amplifier.

i dont know the iraudxxx amps....a lot of amps at home ;)

I have heard a few Luxman amps, and I have to say that I dont think that you will get better sound from any of the proposals in this thread. Maybe some of them will sound more correct, but not better than the Luxman sound of that period. If you are not happy with the sound as is - Its either that some of the components in the amp has deterioated from age or that your speakers or how you placed them just dont suit your desired soundquality.
Its not so hard to find out - Bring your amp to a dealer and listen to it driving some really expensive speakers. If it sounds bad - The amp needs service. After you bring the speakers to a shop and listen to them driven by an expensive amp.
I think that you will find that you need other speakers.
If you want to buy new you should first audition them home, cause you cant hear if they are right for you in a different room than your own. Also many sellers of used speakers would be willing to give you moneyback-guarantee if you deside that they are not right the same day or the next.

I believe the Iraudamp is very powerfull. That will not be in your interest, if you play mostly at lower level in a small room. Then you have to turn down the sourcesignal and this way kill its dynamics and bring noise and distortion from the poweramplification.

Last edited:
By the way.. The amplifiers in your Logitech might even sound great driving better and more efficient speakerdrivers, and If you decide to sell your luxman do it at a dedicated luxman forum. There are many Luxmanfans that will pay a good price. So much that I havent found the luxman l430 that I dream about at a reasonable price.

Hey Guerilla, thanks for your input.
I heard that Luxman amps are great, but i can't imagine my 50$ Luxman is one of those :).
Mine its an entry level model 33W. Since its my first amplifier, i can't compare it with other ones.
It does sound good to my ears, but the bass is a little.. not tight if you know what i mean. :)
I think i`l go for the FX chinese thingy TPA3250 just to have another small footprint amp of another topology in the house and to be able to compare it with the Luxman.
For 60$ should do the job.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.