Best 5V SMPS ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hi TNT, let's find a better performing module. Best would be one that would not need a linear reg after it :D Just kicking in an open door ;)

PE is needed to get rid of mains pollution and other nasties. It is surprising that the RS15-5 measures worse with PE connected as filter caps are connected to PE. Are you sure your PE is fully OK ?

* I see using SMPS for power hungry video devices and linear ULDO regs for audio stuff at 5V 2A makes sense although it is gut feeling that made me make the choices. The LT regs measure vastly better than 5V SMPS. Must admit that I haven't put much time in measuring SMPS for the video devices as they perform better than the original adapters anyway. Some of those make other digital devices uncontrollable as they emit EMI.

So... we can use SMPS for audio but it seems a linear reg is always needed. Why then continue with SMPS then ? Isn't it more efficient to build ULDO PSU's for these low power devices ? Open question ;) If the "best 5V SMPS" still needs following low noise linear circuits we might as well forget about SMPS altogether as we will always have to depend on others delivering ready made modules. Designing a very good performing ULDO board with all bells and whistles and 2 or 3 outputs can be done by ourselves. Price difference with ready made audiophile stuff will allow for buying an Rcore with it. Maybe using SMPS for less than 10W makes not much sense ?!

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hi!

SMPS is good in terms of weight and cost compared to a transformer!?
I have one of the "Silentswitchers" from Mr. Didden. I will measure that one.
I wil recheck the PE measurement.

//

Known facts. The Silentswitcher is not to be compared as it has low current outputs and it needs an adapter. Maybe we should focus on what is required. OP was looking for 5V 3A max. SMPS for audio. Your measurements show that RS15-5 is not suitable for audio so it needs to be either a higher voltage model with a ULDO reg behind it or a darn good SMPS module. True DIY SMPS are out of the question as they need to adhere to various regulations.

I suggested a Centralised DC Power Station with one or more 5V outputs and PE connection. I suggested this to make this a practical project instead of words. However I slowly get the feeling that 5V 2 or 3A can be realised with ULDO and Rcore transformers with better outcome. As you might know I already designed a 5V 3A linear ULDO PSU that performs quite OK. As of 2018 I would probably redo this with LT3045 regs and 2 outputs.

Which way to go ? Exceptional good linear ULDO or searching for the SMPS that truly is silent ? When a linear reg is needed behind the SMPS the benefit of higher efficiency is gone IMO. And why is extreme high efficiency needed at only 10 or 15W for devices that are not powered on 24/7 ? Maybe OP has an opinion in this ?

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
For stuff like a Pi or a router, power supply noise is irrelevant. If it has 5V input, internally it must run on 3V3 and other lower voltages, which means it has internal regulators, most likely switching.

What is relevant:

- If target device is connected to an audio system through cables, then common mode current generated by the power supply will flow into those cables and contaminate grounds. This really is the most important spec. It is really hard to get rid of common mode currents. Power supply design needs to take this into account right from the start.

- Radiated electromagnetic fields

- Amount of noise injected into the mains (and picked up by nearby equipment).

- Fire & electrocution hazard with "too cheap to be true" phone chargers...

Post #2 says it all. I made my choice. Let me know if you want a practical continuation of a very good 5V 2 or 3A ultra low noise linear ULDO PSU. I don't see a valid reason to use both (mains fed !) SMPS and ULDO when we can replace the SMPS for a quality transformer.

Last edited:
Some loaded and unloaded measurements made today of Meanwell RS15-5. FFT and osc. Load was 40ohm / 120mA. Used Edirol Quad Capture @ 48khz/24b. AVO said 5,092V.
NB: Absolute levels not calibrated so not correct!! I had 1uF in series with probe to protect my soundcard. The DUT was not connected to PE.
This, I think :p But, like I said, it was a general observation

BTW it should be connected to PE !
Will PE connection improve performance or "only" save life?
//
Both. It would be a good test to measure with PE connected if performance improves.
I could not see a significant difference - well maybe with PE is a little bit more noisy actually. First measurement with PE then just pulling off the PE connection...
So, where have I misunderstood?

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT
I could not see a significant difference - well maybe with PE is a little bit more noisy actually....

U: I would not expect less noise when connected to PE, the Earth is not a noise sponge

I: +1

JP: Where is that noise being led to then ?

U: Sorry J-P, I wasn't paying that much attention, it was just a general observation Which noise?

Dho! :)

//

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.