best 2 inch 'full range'?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
What is the stock 1-1.5" that Harman use in the soundsticks?

a friend have those for his PC
drivers look like the little Tangband mentioned earlier

wish they would give it better suited litz wires to the voice coil
the present ones are way too heavy and stiff
in for a mod :scratch: :eek: :D

Attachments

• IMG_7857.JPG
    IMG_7857.JPG
    131.2 KB · Views: 743
haha yeah theyre a bit overkill, but thems the breaks. Mms is still only about 1gram so their size is not a huge worry to me. Theyre great little drivers. I got those TB and visaton to use as tweets, crossed lower than is usual, and mounted as close to woofs as possible, maybe 500hz and 1cm between drivers to allow for card tube mid HF enclosure. For this they are perfect and i believe they are better in this regard, than many of the small flange neo tweeters out there.

i dont find the rise above 10k a HUGE issue, but i used between 0.1mH and 0.22mH to bring the rise back a little. But it was a loose experiment, if i recall 018mH was ok to my ear, 0.22 was a little too much.

I put them in a glass cube tealight which fitted the bezel nicely, gross volume of around 65cc, sealed the TB requires ~50cc, the net volume is maybe half of that. Once the gallery works again ill post the pix. It was a fun project which i didnt take too seriously, and wasnt optimal, or even finished. Plus the inductor didnt fit in the cube, so it got shelved for the time being.

I also tried them in a stuffed pringles tube and was surprised by the warmth of the0lower mids. BrSanko had some ambitious BLH for these which may get the most of the TBs, but i reckon they would suit a midTL too, or voight

Last edited:
I was thinking that the excessive gain at the top was due exclusively
to cone break-up and nothing else , being it shifted a bit higher, but
the mass of the cone is still high, about 1,5-2 grams, comma :p
I use the 2" with exclusively :p waveguides, so the top end is still recessed, due to the gain given by the WG in the lower part of the top spectrum,
talking about frequency ... The air/sparkle sensation is still difficult
to hear in comparison to a dome tweeter IME Though it can be crossed an octave or two below and also easier (1st order or so)

that concurs with my experience, Pico. The last octave seems very narrow in dispersion, almost laser-like. Its quite possible the last octave is due to breakup, i couldnt say for sure. I toyed with the WG idea but im not confident in my ability to make it, the CD drop off may be starting a lot earlier than the final octave. It is one thing i would like to try though, or even a WGuided BLH?

The equivalent wavelenght /per diameter and pistonic behaviour related for a 2"
equals 6800 Hz maximum and about 1800 Hz minimum .
The membrane being very stiff, and dispersion depending of its geometry .
But also the shape ( inverted or not ) of the ext. suspension is critical
for HF, so for a normal curved surroud ...it would suggest the shape of some H-frame
imposing a certain ripple . (?!? )
I toyed with the WG idea but im not confident in my ability to make it, the CD drop off may be starting a lot earlier than the final octave. It is one thing i would like to try though, or even a WGuided BLH?
Indeed , it is easier to use a FAST woofer which is presumably +3dB higher
in SPL, with correct BSC and rollof related to baffle dimension, and a WG
to raise the level of the FR in the crossover region, than trying to build a BLH
for a tiny driver :cool::rolleyes:

P10: I cant be sure 50cc is correct, since its been a while since i simmed it in WinISD, but unless ive mistyped the ts specs into the program, the figure is close. The Qts ~0.24 and Vas is low. I remember thinking the volume was impractally small, so i could have made an error. F3 around 500hz.

Pico: sure a BLH isnt easy, and these little things arent really capable of bass, at most midtweeter duties. The surround is a sine roll as you know, whether that is good or worse than inverted roll, i dont know.

Ive actually got them running as TV amplification, and they sure sound better than the flatscreen sound. Sure, normally i use my mains but theyre tolerating my 25W amp at 12 O'clock, with the bass up full. Little effect but a small warmth. But theyre in a glass cube 4x4x5cm so 80ccs, id guess at a net volume of roughly half of that. I should check the specs i put into WinISD, it is mighty small......

0.05 litre? a 5cm square 2cm deep?

dave

PS it is voigt -- no "h"

Yes, Ive re-checked in WinISD and for sealed alignment, F3 of 440Hz in a volume of 0.03 liters and Qtc of 0.74

Vented isnt much different, F3 of 265Hz in 0.07 liters Fb of 240Hz.

Compared to the 2 inch Visaton FRS5X it is a tiny volume.

The FRS5X spits out F3 of 195Hz in 0.75 liters sealed Qtc of 0.8

Like some of the original Mark Audio drivers, the FRS5X has a high Qts of 0.7, so in a vented alignment you can stretch the response further, albeit in a roller-coaster way.

I have a pair of Peerless' PLS-P830970 2" full-range speakers and I would like to make a tiny laptop audio system for my girlfriend with these. What kind of enclosure would be good with this kind of driver?

Datasheet:
http://www.tymphany.com/files/PLS-P830970 Rev1_0.pdf

Code:
[SIZE=2]Qts: 0.57
Qes: 0.67
Qms: 3.9
Fs: 166 Hz
Vas: 0.18 L
Sd: 13.9 cm²
Cms: 0.661 mm/N
Mms: 1.39 g
BL: 2.79 T*M
Revc: 3.6 Ω[/SIZE]
So far I have came up with this kind of design with WinISD but I'm not sure if its tuning frequency would be too low.

Attachments

• 830970_2.jpg
    830970_2.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 750
  • pls830970.png
    pls830970.png
    19 KB · Views: 742
Bringing back this old thread. I have built a small portable speaker with the Peerless P830970. 0.55 l tuned to 120hz. It runs on a battery operated chip amp. For what it is it sounds good, not much bass of course but way better than many commercial small portable systems. I have compered it to my tivoli audio 1 radio, and it is better than the tivoli in every way apart from the amount of bass (not quality, the bass from the tivoli is not that good, but being a 3" it has quite a lot more than the 2" does)

Some pictures from a Norwegian forum here

Portabel høyttaler med Peerless 2" PLS-P830970 - hjelp til baffel step

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
2 inch Peerless miniature MLTL

I have a pair of Peerless' PLS-P830970 2" full-range speakers and I would like to make a tiny laptop audio system for my girlfriend with these. What kind of enclosure would be good with this kind of driver?

Datasheet:
http://www.tymphany.com/files/PLS-P830970 Rev1_0.pdf

Code:
[SIZE=2]Qts: 0.57
Qes: 0.67
Qms: 3.9
Fs: 166 Hz
Vas: 0.18 L
Sd: 13.9 cm²
Cms: 0.661 mm/N
Mms: 1.39 g
BL: 2.79 T*M
Revc: 3.6 Ω[/SIZE]
So far I have came up with this kind of design with WinISD but I'm not sure if its tuning frequency would be too low.

If you make a very small folded mass loaded TL, you can get bass output down to about 80 Hz. Make a 2.5 in wide x 1.0 in deep x 24 in long TL (1 liter volume). Mount the driver at 1/3 (8 in from closed end). On the opposite end, put a 4.5 in long x 1.0 in dia tube as vent/port. Use an elbow if you want it front firing. You can fold the TL in 3 so that it is a 7.5 in x 8 in x 1 in deep box. Below are the simulations in AkAbak for this TL assuming it is placed against a wall, etc. Last plot shows response far away from back wall - as you can see it still has enough extra bass that it will not need any baffle step correction (BSC). Put polyfill stuffing from an old pillow in first 16 inches of line - that will smooth out all the peaks and valleys (AkAbak cannot model damping from stuffing). Good luck! It should be a fun little speaker.

Attachments

• 2-inch-MLTL-freq-1m.png
    2-inch-MLTL-freq-1m.png
    32.1 KB · Views: 650
  • 2-inch-MLTL-Impedance.png
    2-inch-MLTL-Impedance.png
    23.9 KB · Views: 637
  • 2-inch-MLTL-Displ.png
    2-inch-MLTL-Displ.png
    24.2 KB · Views: 562
  • 2-inch-MLTL-freq-1m-60in.png
    2-inch-MLTL-freq-1m-60in.png
    32 KB · Views: 110
Hello,
thanks for simulating the TL. Looks quiet interesting as a small portable set up.
This part i don`t understand:
...Last plot shows response far away from back wall - as you can see it still has enough extra bass that it will not need any baffle step correction (BSC)...
BSC for the bass?
Afaiu that is needed for compensating the refractions from the edges of the enclosure (width/height are the determining factors), usually in the midrange...

Greetings from Germany

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.