Best 100-W high fidelity audio NPN Transistor ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Good question, what to look for is important.

In my experience, for emitter followers (normally in the output stage), where input and output are separated by Vbe, you need to look for the way in which Vbe changes with current, AND with Vce. This latter is often missing from the datasheet; in which case go for reasonably flat hfe with increasing collector current, and Vbe/Ic linearity for constant Vce.

For common emitter (input stage and VAS of audio amps) you should look for low Cob, less than 3pF is good (generally at Vce of 10V), speed is significant, 100MHz or greater, and I prefer lower peak collector currents, particularly in the VAS, no more than about 100mA. For diff pairs, Vbe with current should be as linear as you can find.

Not too much interest in common base for an audio amp, unless you are using cascodes.

The gnfb loop picks up all these non-linearities, but if you make each stage as linear as possible to begin with, then the distortion will be reduced before feedback is applied. This is always good.

Hugh

no, these parts are pure trash.

You must be kidding, as a sub for the old 2sc3281/2sa1302
in all those old JVC/ sanyo /etc. receivers 1-they run cooler
(same factory bias) 2-sound better (opinion) 3- Only 3$:D ,cheap.

I busted one apart and its die is bigger than the 2SC's.
With 2X the SOA and Vceo the mjl4281/4302 is just
great for an "abuse" mode amp.

I'm building a full EF "blameless" design now and my choice
is the MJL's even as I could buy the 2sc's for much less.
definitely the best cost/performance ratio out there.

OS

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
ostripper, I think you misunderstood, the trash is the chinese white paste manufactured ones. Crack open a Mospec or winsling manufactured part, eh eh.....
Do you use these ?????

The bigger die on the onsemi is the improvement, they have made on what they copied from 1302/4281.

Homemodder -

I think you are referreing to the Thermaltrack NJL BJTs that have the built-in diode,
but I am not referrring to those, but to the rather new
NJW types. NJW 0302/0281

OnSemi has continued to improve on the 3281/1302 and 0302/0281 types and changed lettering from MJL to MJW to NJW.

I do like these but if there are any better ones out there, I would not hesitate to try them out. You mentioned that Toshiba has released new drivers and replacements for the 1943/5200. Would you please let us know what these are?

Sigurd

homemodder said:
Sigurd I didnt have a proper listen to those yet, I like the compensation diode idea though.

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Sigurd, those devices look good maybe they can now compete with the japanese, I think Ill drop them a email and ask for a sample pair. I have the latest Toshiba product manual somewhere on my harddrive in pdf, Ill just need some time to locate it again, but I think I mentioned them in some thread here before.

Ill get back to you soon. The dealer I get parts told me at the time he would not be able to get any for some months though.

homemodder said:
Ok according to my email converstaion with the dealer the drivers were 2sa2190/2sc6072 and power 2sa2120/21 / 2sc5948/49.
I remember from datasheets they were not much different spec wise from previous efforts but only way to evaluate sonics is try.

The drivers are outstanding, 200Mhz ft, 0.1mA to 250mA hfe linearity, 26pF Cob, but the power devices, sorry ... only 25Mhz ft ?!
Take a look at the NJL0302/0281 series from ONsemi:
400pF (max) Cob, Ft=55Mhz at Ic=1A, 50mA ... 3A hfe linearity

JLH 2005

Korkotam

I don't see how you didn't recognize the parts on the schematic. Are
you referring to the parts I used on mine?
If so, here we go:

Q4, 5 , 6 - 2SA 970
Q7 - 2SA970
Q3 - 2SA1358
Q8 - 2SC3421
All the outputs are 2SC3857

I hope this gives you an idea of how I built the JLH this time around.
BTW I'm using 28.5 V, plus and minus.
Cheers

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
There is nothing new with regard to the lastest toshibas, the driver and power seems to be very much the same as the parts they supposed to replace.

The Onsemi have have made a giant leap forward though and spec sheet wise is now in sanken territory, warrent enough for me to order some samples.

megajocke said:
After seeing this datasheet:
http://www.semicon.toshiba.co.jp/docs/datasheet/en/Transistor/2SC5948_en_datasheet_061116.pdf

I'm starting to believe the time axis on the tranisent thermal plots of the Fairchild FJL4x15 and FJA4x13 are off by a factor 10 or so. There can't be that big difference in die size. It would also explain why you can use 4 pairs of this size transistor in a 700W class AB or 1200W class H amp without problems. (Yes that's QSC RMX)

I checked the FJA4313, and that has same thermal plots...

Sajti

Same as what? It seems all four might be wrong.

Either that or else the Fairchild versions must be weaker.

I'm thinking like this: The 2SC5948 has the same pulse SOA as 2SC5200. So 2SC5200 should have a similar thermal plot, at least for times shorter than 100mS or so. 2SC5200 should be equivalent to FJL4315.

If you compare diagrams the new Toshiba has the same transient thermal impedance at 100ms as the Fairchild is claimed to have at 10ms.

It's the difference between having to derate for peak power or average power at bass frequencies.

It also seems strange that the package has no time constants longer than 10ms or so... So I'm pretty sure the fairchild diagrams are wrong (in a good way!). I'll have to measure them to be sure though.

megajocke said:
Same as what? It seems all four might be wrong.

Either that or else the Fairchild versions must be weaker.

I'm thinking like this: The 2SC5948 has the same pulse SOA as 2SC5200. So 2SC5200 should have a similar thermal plot, at least for times shorter than 100mS or so. 2SC5200 should be equivalent to FJL4315.

If you compare diagrams the new Toshiba has the same transient thermal impedance at 100ms as the Fairchild is claimed to have at 10ms.

It's the difference between having to derate for peak power or average power at bass frequencies.

It also seems strange that the package has no time constants longer than 10ms or so... So I'm pretty sure the fairchild diagrams are wrong (in a good way!). I'll have to measure them to be sure though.

If You check the SOA of FJL4315, and 2SC5200, You can find, that the two diagramms almost same. There are very small differences.
The 10ms curve is 2A/100V for 2SC5200, and 3A/100V for FJL4315.

Sajti

And that's why I believe the transient thermal impedance plots are wrong for the FJx:s as the SOA is claimed to be the same as the Toshiba :) It's not the pulse SOA I believe might be wrong, it's the transient thermal impedance plot.

The Toshiba 2SC5200 does not have a transient thermal impedance plot in it's datasheet but the new 2SC5948 has one which is quite different from the FJx:s plot. The pulse SOA is claimed to be the same though.

Sanken publish transient thermal impedance plots too, and these are quite similar to the plot for the 2SC5948.

GK

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
homemodder said:
Glen, you right thats not a darlington as used in blameless, but the scheme I mean is completly different and is not in his books. Lately he has used a single transistor darlington vas , cascoded and followed by a buffer. I dont think its ethical and would not do without D.self or Cambridge permission put schematics here as I think these units are still in production, its from azur range. A friend back engineered one some months back to see what the good doc was upto while modifying a unit for the mayor of my town. I was very surprised too at first but never had a second thought on it till now when andy mentioned the benifits of very high beta. I dont have as much time to spend with electronics as I would like.
Mmmm seems the good doc had in fact a new idea here, since most here dont regard XD as new. For D.Self to use this scheme it must have some positive attributes, i doubt someone would design something worse performing than previous attempts.

I dont like cascoding any bjt be it vas or ltp, from most amps Ive designed in Lin topology cascoding didnt do it for me subjectively. I tried some tips given in this forum but still not entirely happy. The stochino is not my design I built it exactly to the schematics, but not with those horrible 2n devices but sanyo small signals bjts, in place of bd139 i have 2sc2910, mine has one extra copensation cap and smaller miller caps as i found the sound just a tad bit clinical, otherwise its identical to schematics. Glen I have no problem with the claimed high slew rate of this amp, even if it was less than a third of it but still sounded as good Id be very happy. I forgot to mention I included a small resister in the bases of the ltp current source trannies as well as resistors in between current source and ltp, this was for purely subjective reasons. Some here say this amp easily blows its outputs, I guess Im lucky then so far, they drive my BW804s effortly to high levels. I prefer my comercial amp, maybe its just in my head to justify the small fortune i spent on it.

A Darlington conected VAS buffer is fine if it is cascoded. That allows you to use a low voltage transistor with high beta for the VAS buffer as well. Linearity is also aided as the majority of the VAS transistor base current is summed with its collector current instead of going to AC ground. I don't think D.Self has come up with anything new here.

And you are still ignoring the fact that the Stoc. fast amp has a cascoded VAS!

Cheers,
Glen

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.