Bennic vs. Solen

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear All,

I tend to use two manufacturers of Caps in my designs.

Solen

and even better in my opinion

I C W which are made in the UK.

They also go under the Expotus trade name.

Much more expensive than Solen but worth the price differential.

But i now have fallen under the Behringer actice x over spell.

The CX 3400 analogue 3 way x over is a killer. The cost of 4 sexy caps and you can have the CX 3400.

regards David

salas said:
The MOX sounds a bit shrill to me. I prefer the plain boxy cast one, has better tone although a bit gray for detail. Cleaner sounding than both without edge or cloud is the Mills one and I recommend it. Mills.

Huh? Are you talking about the "sound" of a resistor???

I bet the difference between the air in one room and another (in a different place) makes more difference than what kind of resistor you use, given that they both have the same resistance.

The only factor I could see would be using a resistor with too small of a power handling capacity so that it heats up and increases in value (greater resistance). Like using a light bulb as a protection device, kind of a temp. fuse...

But... On the other hand... I do have these special electrons I could sell you that will vastly improve the sound... :D Using electricity produced by wind power gives so much more "air" to the music than dirty coal power electricity...

salas said:
Try out a mox, a sandcast, and a Mills in line with your tweeter, and then you may rethink of what you wrote.
Well, I guess I can't speak with any authority until I've tried it extivensively myself ~ but ~ without significant inductance, how is a resistor going to resist some electrons any more than other electrons? I think it's going to treat them all the same? (again, assuming thermal stability due to choosing one with adequate power handling capacity)

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
All modern resistors surely satisfy the needed Ohmic value tolerances, and their inductance is insignificantly low so not to change their basic suitability in loudspeakers. Obviously there is stuff at play that transcends the basic functioning requirements of components. There are some findings for caps and other things like wire. Nobody has totally explained with some concrete scientific set of equations the what and why of materials having specific sonic signatures. From experience, every material has a signature. I much rather prefer that it wasn't true, it would make things simpler and cheaper, but ignoring that and sticking to basic electronic view would be blind faith. I find it dishonest from my side to say that I have changed resistors in speakers or amplifiers and haven't heard a difference. If you look around in the forum you will see there is much info about substituting components and their impact. From Riken and Black Gates in Gainclones to Clarity Caps and wire in loudspeakers. There always was gravity before Newton wrote the equations, wasn't it?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.