Behringer Ultracurve DEQ2496 - ways to use it?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I got Ultradrive last nite and I found a new use for it:

Go to the top of a highrise building and throw it out the window!

Let's just say this is another chapter in my "2ndhand equipment saga"

Unit is faulty, I know now why it's secondhand.

Now I can consider:

Ultracurve DSP or DEQ new
Ultradrive DCX

Only thing is I have an active xo kit and haven't even soldered it up!

The dbx is better built than the dcx and has more flexibility in setting the correct input levels via jumper switches.

It also has an Auto-EQ (like the Behringer DEQ Paul is set on). It also has a fair bit more processing power than the DCX, from memory you can have over 20 separate EQ points per channel using the parametric EQs. The EQ can also be set finer than the DCX.

It's also easier to use.

The only real advantages the DCX has is price and the ability to lay shelving filters over each other. This last thing is important for Orion/Phoenix style EQ when you need considerable amounts of such filters for dipole roll-off and for speaker Q (if you use the Peerless drivers).

Cheers

Steve

I got Ultracurve DEQ for $570 IIRC ... from Factory Sound, South Melbourne. Behringer Australia told me that they are big discounters. I found this to be true compared to others. I also picked up the Europower EP2500 amp for $630 while at another place they were very hesitant to offer $695 and I really had to push!

I can get both quite a bit cheaper including shipping and customs and exchange rate - I worked it all out properly, but Behringer Australia warned me that they are not as reliable due to the power supply.

I set up DEQ today and initial results are very pleasing. I also made up a DIY mic (without preamp - not required for DEQ) so I could use the auto eq ... more info soon when I've had more of a play :D

With the RTA I can't believe how much output there is below 40 Hz - more than I have been led to think!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.