Behringer DCX2496 digital X-over

Sounds like a pita , Makes you wonder whatever happened to good old electronic xovers and parametric Eq's ...

:)

They are in the corner collecting dust. The best aspect of this unit is the delay alignment feature, along with the crossovers, the threshold parameters, the eq, the ability to individually or globally adjust parameters for each channel, the memory recall feature to return to prior settings, the mic input to automatically set delay and other parameters, and on and on.

You will instantly realize improved sound from this piece. It takes the place of at least 4 separate units that would need to be connected opening the door for more noise and distortion into the system. If you get one it will be worth every penny you spend on it.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Oh boy, more projects! :D

The noise of the stock unit's isn't bad, that is if you keep the levels up. You can do that with a volume control at the amp. Somewhere, maybe this thread, I posted noise and spectrum for the stock unit and a unit modified with transformer outputs.

OK, cool. If you have no volume control at the input of the power amps, that's going to be a problem right there, at least for domestic use.

Also try muting the DCX analog inputs with the outputs unmuted. You want to chase down where the noise is coming from. I suspect you simply have too much gain. You may have to reduce gain in a couple of places.

Hi Pano,

I tested with a stock Sony amp, TA-N55ES, which has a Gain. Result, the noise is down at minimum level, so you are right, my gain on the albs amp´s are to high, good to know! On muting the channels there was no change to the gainnoise, AES/EBU was also no change. Only thing that was crazy, if I changed the input on each channel seperate, the noise was the same on A,B and Sum, but on C it was much more noise then the others and I had only an XLR input in A!

So I have to know what to do but only the "groundnoise" is a problem and I have to find this mistake in both DCX :-( .

THX for the input !

Before I go to read the 400 threadpages, are there meanwhile good "stock solutions" for "tuning" the DCX? And are there better sounding alternatives to the DCX, what are the most recommended types in this thread?

THX

mekkachie

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Good to now you found it. I suspected that might be your problem. Looks like you isolated it to the outputs of the DCX.
"Groundnoise". Are you still hearing buzz or hum even with the Sony? Is it the same as with the other amps, or different?

I would say the the good solutions for the DCX is using passive outputs. There are a number of ways to do that. I like a transformer output, some other people like different passive output circuits. It's a very good way to go for a home system.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
OK, thanks. Do you hear it on all 6 outputs? Or is it in only some of them? I've don't remember ever having a hum or buzz problem with the DCX, so can't immediately think of what it could be.

Some things to test would be:
  • Do you get the buzz with the cable connected to the amp, but not connected to the DCX?
  • Does it buzz if the power cord to the DCX is removed?
  • Does it buzz if the DCX power cord is plugged in, but the DCX power switch is off?
  • How are your XLR cables wired?
  • Are you going from XLR to RCS (cinch)?
  • Which pins are you using?

That should be simple and quick to test.

OK, thanks. Do you hear it on all 6 outputs? Or is it in only some of them? I've don't remember ever having a hum or buzz problem with the DCX, so can't immediately think of what it could be.

Some things to test would be:
  • Do you get the buzz with the cable connected to the amp, but not connected to the DCX?
  • Does it buzz if the power cord to the DCX is removed?
  • Does it buzz if the DCX power cord is plugged in, but the DCX power switch is off?
  • How are your XLR cables wired?
  • Are you going from XLR to RCS (cinch)?
  • Which pins are you using?

That should be simple and quick to test.

Hi Pano,

*the buzz comes only, if the DCX´s are connected with the power cord, equal if the the power switch is on or off. I get a buzzloop in the whole system threw the connected xlr-cable from input A/B or C. There is also no change, if I cap the "ground" from the cable.

The xlr-cable is fine and correct. Another powerstripcable also gets no better result.

mekkachie

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
OK, thanks for checking.

I think the next thing to try would be to lift pin 1 of the XLR. You can try this on one cable only to hear if it works. I suggest disconnecting pin 1 on the amplifier if you are running balanced. If your cables are XLR 3 wire to RCA 2 wire, try using pins 2 and 3 only. Pin 3 to RCA ground, pin 2 to RCA tip. Basically, you want to break any ground connections from the DCX to the amp. I sounds like the ground is already being made via the power cord.

If that doesn't work, you might try pin 1 to RCA ground, pin 2 to RCA tip. B

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Never to the PCB, nor other grounds, inside the chassis.
Except that often it does, and it still works fine. Connecting the shield to the shell of the XLR can often cause problems. Just had to fix that on 20 headsets today.

For the most part, the shield only needs to be connected at one end. But XLR cables are built with both ends connected for a reason. Great for microphones, not always so great for other gear.