Behringer DCX2496 digital X-over

volume control

Hi
I belive that this was answerd before...but my pc is dead and search via mobile is frustrating...but ;
Can I place 6 channel, 5k, pot at the output of DCX2496 to drive Pass aleph clones (aleph30 and aleph mini) without preamp ?

Should I worried about something ?..just plug and play ;) ?
Thanks
:D
I haven't done this yet because other projects are first,but this is what I was going to do Try one channel and see :)
I had a pic but it's not on this computer,but the pot 10K goes right at the same spot as mute transistor,here's a link( Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc. )
NS

Last edited:
:D
I haven't done this yet because other projects are first,but this is what I was going to do Try one channel and see :)
I had a pic but it's not on this computer,but the pot 10K goes right at the same spot as mute transistor,here's a link( Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc. )
NS

Could you please reload link...I don't see it ;)...thanks

Looking at the Behringer manual it seems that all the attn/gain structure is done in the digital domain. Might be why everybody says these are noisy.

An EV I have does this a little differently. Input sensitivity is done in analog prior to ADC. Internal (digital) clip levels are set here. Gain/Attenuation can be had in the digital domain ... but as the EV also has individual output controls after DAC ... attenuation is best done here. Driver level equality, etc. Gain can be done digitally ... but if the internal processor is clipped (as a result) you'd need to attenuate the input level (in the analog stage prior to ADC) to realign the input sensitivity as to not drive the internal (digital) processor into clipping.

As it looks with the DCX, having no analog attenuation capability, any attenuation with that unit will result in raising the noise floor. You do have more headroom with 24bits ... but as this unit is not likely being used in the recording process, I'm not sure of the "extra bit" benefit here. Program material in the audible range doesn't use all 24bits ... so any perceived headroom (by specification) isn't there anyway. You're still bound by the programs playback structure.

That's why you go digital in, xfmr coupled out into passive attenuator with buffer. Get the most out of the fairly-well-done digital/DSP section, and maximum analog S/N. easy to do with simple mods (no board level soldering required).

IMO anything else is compromised, or adds additional complexity needlessly.

Strong vote for Jensen or Cinemag line out.xfmrs.

Hi yoke,
Go to the forum,digital line level,Dcx2496,volume controls start on post 22,I was going to use one pot per channel as I have 2 dcx2496 each channel has it own dcx 3 way and a sub,You can also use a ultra link, I'm doing that now for level adjustment,Jan Didden has made a board for the volume control,also Apox and several other Just google it dcx2496 mods,a ton of articles out there,if you need the schematic it's in google groups(DCX2496) and alot of good info there too!
Good luck,
NS

Last edited:
SY ... gain structure should be established right up front. Boosting or attenuating the post processed signal is another matter. I don't see that as part of "gain structure" per say.

But it is. If you put voltage amplification after the DAC, as Behringer did, the levels will be too high for home use unless they're digitally attenuated. This compromises S/N and audibly so. Gain structure is just wrong for home use.

Pano, recall that I use a preamp with input transformers. No OPTs needed.

o.k...
I have read some, but not all the tread...
and since this tread starts couple years ago...I start to think about replacing DCX2496 dac's with new ones...something up to 100$ for two channels ?...

Is it posibile...
just to take I2S of the DSP and connect some exterenal DAC with I2S interface ?
or is it just to complicated ?

I'm new at this...
I have found service manuals for DCX...
And I'm just thinking out loud ;)

I have search net but didn't see that any one owercome internal DAC of DCX

What's wrong with the DACs? They are far and away not the weak point which is why people have been concentrating on the things which are. #1 is the output analog electronics. #2 is the input analog electronics. #3 is the digital receiver. #4 is the clock.

Take care of 1 and 2 and you're 99% of the way there.

But it is. If you put voltage amplification after the DAC, as Behringer did, the levels will be too high for home use unless they're digitally attenuated. This compromises S/N and audibly so. Gain structure is just wrong for home use.
You've lost me here SY ... suitable levels for the DSP are dependent on the source/preamplification before signal processing. With the Behringer, using a digital source (PC for instance), attenuation would still need to be done at the source (manipulating the file levels if/as required). If other program sources don't produce a satisfactory result (such as a CD player), then analog conversion, allowing attenuation, would be called for prior to this particular DSP.

Neither of the above workarounds require attenuation within the DCX. One shows it's lack of flexibility though.

Amplification/attenuation post DSP just manipulates the speaker level signal(s) ... and that would be done in analog. Once again though, the Behringers lack of flexibility would necessitate separate amplifier channel attenuation here (worst case driver sensitivity mismatches) or some other multichannel solution prior to amplification.

I agree with you about the digital attenuation ... but I think a guy would be OK here with the DCX provided they added the extra work (digital file prep) and/or equipment needed (analog attenuators).

The only question remaining then is how well the DCX performs as a DSP (internally ... is it noisy?)? Looks to have some nice features.

phil

Last edited:
You've lost me here SY ... suitable levels for the DSP are dependent on the source/preamplification before signal processing. With the Behringer, using a digital source (PC for instance), attenuation would still need to be done at the source (manipulating the file levels if/as required).

With a digital source, you have to attenuate the outputs, but you shouldn't attenuate the digital source or you lose S/N. With an analog source, the input gain has to be run at max and that's where the noise problem starts.

'cause the transformers sound better. I did blind tests, I preferred the transformers. RC is much better than what's in there, tho.

For domestic use as single ended is preferred anyway, how about just better analog output buffers? The only thing I have against transformers is good ones are expensive. No surprise. They may not fit inside the chassis, no surprise there either.

o.k...
I have read some, but not all the tread...
and since this tread starts couple years ago...I start to think about replacing DCX2496 dac's with new ones...something up to 100$ for two channels ?...

Is it posibile...
just to take I2S of the DSP and connect some exterenal DAC with I2S interface ?
or is it just to complicated ?

I'm new at this...
I have found service manuals for DCX...
And I'm just thinking out loud ;)

I have search net but didn't see that any one owercome internal DAC of DCX

DAC's are not the biggest problem IMHO. I would hit the power supplies first, then the analog quality. Look up Jan's work on this.

Actually, I think it is that simple. If you run SPICE assuming a 1.3k resistor in series with the output of your preamp and a 47k load with whatever the input capacitance is of the Aleph in parallel with the 200pF or so from the interconnects and you see something significant, I'm all ears. Noise of a 1.5k resistance is buried.

related: last nite, my deq2496 blew itself up. it was powered-on for months at a time (probably half a year or more) and just always left on, along with the dcx2496.

powering it off to swap in some new equipment in my main rack, then powering it on causes this cap to blow enough to stop the unit from coming on. cap is bottom/left. just bulged enough to not work.

sigh.

luckily, the damage was not far and it seems that by replacing this bad cap the unit powers on, the display comes alive, filters work and aes3 in and out work. that was a close call!

just about a year after buying it, brand new, too.

oh, and the top sticker that had its production date or code said '9/11' on it. (uhm, lol?)

anyway, if you are outside your warranty period, its probably a good idea to just replace ALL filter caps in your behringer boxes. I don't trust their parts selection (not that I ever really did).

Attachments

• 8083568066_0d6fcea636_b.jpg
    8083568066_0d6fcea636_b.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 302