Beginner project - advice sought on cheap kits to crew up while I learn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Checkers,

Thanks for this post. Thanks also to all who have posted in reply. This is a great thread for me, and probably for other lurkers like myself. I would not consider myself a hardcore audiophile, but I do know good sound when I hear it. I do have a pair of Magnepan 1.7’s in my humble study/DIY/listening room.

I am a hardcore DIYer and for a couple of months I have been soaking in A LOT of circuit building info and other stuff here on DIYAudio. My biggest issue had been where to go next. I am pretty decent with a soldering iron and have built a couple of headphone amps in the past.

I have been a bit overwhelmed with some threads, but still learning the science along the way. Some of the links and ideas in this thread have been GREAT!

Please post more ideas on good kits and PCB’s to pick up. Not sure I am ready for modding existing boards, but would like to get a feel for the differences when subbing out caps and other components to hear the sonic differences. I am not afraid of an eBay kit or putting together a shopping cart on Mouser or DigiKey. Keep the good info coming! This is a great, friendly, and obviously very bright community of members.

Great thread! I only started tinkering with electronics this year and have so far completed two projects so I guess I'll share my experience. Before I started out a few month ago I didn't know how to solder and knew close to nothing about electronics.

My first project was the Muffsy Phone Preamp. This is a great kit with superb documentation and great support from the guy who designed it.

As a second project I choose the Neurochrome LM3886DR kit by tomchr. Again the documentation was outstanding and Tom really helped me with my questions along the way. I'm very happy with the amp!

To practice soldering I bought one of those cheap generic PCBs and some resistors to play around with. I use an Ersa 15W soldering iron and 0,5mm SN60PB39CU1 solder. It's been working nicely for me.

131fUPU.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.