Beginner issues with eBay chip amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone

I bought one of these from eBay

100W Mono Audio Power Amplifier Board TDA7294 HUS | eBay

Thought it should be as simple as wiring it up, but it doesn't seem so. I've checked the voltages on the pins and they appear correct, I'm supplying a signal strong enough to drive a set of headphones, but getting no sound out of this at all?

Not quite sure what the relay is in there for?

Anyone got any ideas or a link to where someone's successfully used one of these boards?

Many thanks

That's your problem! The advert states it requires a 28-0-28 transformer.

Its also not really intended or ideal for driving headphones.

I'll try an artificial CT with two resistors

Sorry, I wasn't clear, I'm not using it to drive headphones, I was just saying that my audio ip signal was high enough to just drive a set of headphones. I've got it connected to an 8 ohm speaker

Thanks for the reply, I'll let you know how I get on

Obtain a center tapped transformer of proper voltage and current. Be sure to add a large heatsink to the IC.

Also these things are cheap with free shipping for a reason. They are junk.

Cheers. Heatsink on there, why wouldn't it work the way I have it wired?

Yes in appreciate for £10 they aren't gong to set the world on fire, maybe just my house, it was just for a try-out

This amp is designed to be powered by a two times 28 Volt AC transformer. This will produce a positive and a negative voltage of 39 Volt DC. (39 0 -39)

If the PSU you have used does not have the correct voltages and polarity the amp will not work. For one thing, the relay needs the higher voltage and there may be an under-voltage protection.

Hi Jcanderton,

I would recommend NOT using a 28-0-28 transformer. At that voltage level you're risking a possible over-voltage situation if the mains voltage is running too high. Worst case could end up with rail voltages as high as +/- 44 volts which would exceed the limits of the chip.

Mike

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.