Beautiful power supply! Brian's Chipamp.com

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
tangmonster said:
I find it VERY hard to believe that carbon resistors sound better than film resistors.

OH no! That's not the point.

Carbon doesn't sound better than metal.
Also, metal doesn't sound better than carbon.

They can sound different. That is a resource.
Some are specifically designed to do so.

For the application, look at the speaker output of Figure 2 in LM3886.pdf at National Semiconductor. See what appears to be speaker crossover components on the output? I think that National's suggestion that there "may" be a screech, is revealing about my enthusiasm for the 1/2 watt carbon, even though there are many more effective ways to adjust tonality. I was just so surprised that something so easy and cheap as a resistor provided a benefit (to me) so quickly.

I think its likely that the AC signal characteristics are inherently different between dirt and metal. Please choose measuring equipment capable of measuring a difference in AC signal.

The guy with the spikey feet on the amp?
Coin size ceramic caps do have microphony. Tubes do have microphony. Otherwise, the microphony is caused by a damaged electrolytic cap. An ESR meter will reveal the damaged cap so that the amplifier can be repaired.
In any case, I'm quite jealous of the SPL achieved if the spiky feet are necessary.

AndrewT said:
well, I'm relieved to find that it's not just my mind that is lacking in understanding Daniel's posts.

My apologies. I sent you such a whirlwind of questions about such a wide variety of topics, that it must have read like a mess. But, I was curious about all of it.

Usually, I would ask about values derived from empiric means, to see if they're safe and see if they could be made better.

Thank you so much for your answers. I have been able to comprehend and apply some of them. The results have been an improvement.

janneman said:
A power supply should have no further ambitions than to supply stable, constant and noise free power to the amp. Everything else is anecdotes.

It wasn't about voltage. The comment was about a specific reaction to capacitance in a mod that I was performing on an amplifier, to support a specific application. . . that I really wanted. It was not about the power supply itself, but rather about the kit product that supports the amps that come with it and the K50 too. I like that it supports a surround sound application at high gain.

In contrast, I had the option to purchase other kits which would have had very large capacitors right next to the amp chip instead of safely offboard. This could have hindered the success of the mod that I was making. I was also grateful to have accidentally avoided that problem.

. . . But, you pays your money, it sounds different so it must be better, no?

It sounds different. Its great when that's useful.
That's the point, isn't it?

Why doesn't someone have a meter able to tell the ac signal difference between tinfoil and a rock? Did you all get together and decide to play a trick on the new guy?

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
danielwritesbac said:

Why doesn't someone have a meter able to tell the ac signal difference between tinfoil and a rock? Did you all get together and decide to play a trick on the new guy?

Hi Daniel,
You are trying to speak with authority on a subject that you apparently don't know enough about.
There are too many big brains (myself not included) on this forum to get away with that.
All of the above comments are from guys that know this stuff inside out (each might have different views on different things).
Use it constructively.

Gopher said:
I'm not sure Daniel's not just jerking everyone's chain here folks
I don't think so. I suspect that:
a) All of Daniel's electronic knowledge is self-taught (including large gaps)
b) He has never had to do any technical writing.
c) Much of his past writing was text messaging to his close friends in a sort of short-hand style, they all knew what the skipped parts were.

Gopher said:
I'm not sure Daniel's not just jerking everyone's chain here folks

Sorry, no. Not really. I'm a computer network engineer, not an audio engineer. I did work in audio years ago, in my youth, at a time when empirics were important and calculators rarely gave the same answer twice.

I'm sitting here holding a small gift. Its a mystery "studio music" CD from Japan Amusement Agency. Would you rather I put it into the computer to do a pif quality control scan with Nero and then attempt to analyze what it would sound like if somebody actually heard it?

Or would you rather I just put it into the cd player and listened?

I'm making a dolby surround sound gainclone amp that decodes from the ordinary dvd player, because of the input circuits of the amps. They're going to look a little bit odd--like much more could go in than can come out of the input section and then the NFB has a high gain. In addition, sources are considered worst case scenerio, especially Soundblaster X-fi and others that may cause an op amp to hetrodyne. The carbon resistors stopped the incompatibility, seemingly with insufficient reason for doing so. Other souces may have a thunker, aphex, and similar effects.

This is a unit build so that it can be built of widely available kit parts. So far, that's chipamp.com's lm3886 stereo, 2 k50's and 1 k106.
It doesn't initally specify a preamp because then there would be five. I'm not prepared to justify that.
In fact, at end result, there may be one stereo preamp for features and for gain via a unified stereo volume control.

So far, the center channel is defined as: A thompson monoblock with two input filter capacitors leading to a stereo potentiometer.
In testing, that stereo potiometer is a stronger load than that used for the main amp. Examples have been 50k on the main amp with 10k or 20k on the center channel amp.
With wide availability, that's K106, TDA7294 as the center channel amp. At the risk of quoting Bose, that wide "room filling sound" is the rearwards presentation of the thompson--in my opinion. This is exploited. . . By putting its input in direct competition with the input of chipamp.com's stereo kit, the two different presentations let me escape the noise and expense of a reverb feature.
Does this work? Well, why don't you try it and find out? ;)

I believe that someone who didn't know how this worked would be better equipped to judge it on how it sounds. What could possibly be more important than how it sounds?

Kevin Graf said:

I don't think so. I suspect that:
a) All of Daniel's electronic knowledge is self-taught (including large gaps)
b) He has never had to do any technical writing.
c) Much of his past writing was text messaging to his close friends in a sort of short-hand style, they all knew what the skipped parts were.

A. All? Not so definitive. Computer network engineers only attempt factory specs out of morbid curiosity to see just how badly it could go.
B. True
C. True

That's the old model.

I Am An Idiot said:

That's the old model in the video. The new one has MP3 and WMA playback.
It's here: http://www.rockwellautomation.com/solutions/intelligentcontrol/packaged.html

The new model runs Microsoft and, well, the motors it controls can just suddenly go bonkers. At that time, the cost control software cannot report the additional cost. . . because its stuck.

Hey you guys with the bypass caps! See, that's not empiric tomfoolery at all. Capactive divisionals actually do exist. Some people are mixing capacitor types, so its no longer C in parallel with C (can shunt square waves); no, because different types would be C in parallel with RCR, and that confuses me. ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.