Beast with a Thousand JFETs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I cannot get rid of this picture: A long winter night, a cosy open fire, the wife is knitting and the husband is doing his own kind of diy-audio-embroidery... :D
Enough lousy jokes! :) It is almost eerie how Papa manages it to excite someones curiosity! New F2, J2, one of the BAs, the Beast - I want them all! :spin:

Converted it to jpg.

Attachments

• temp.jpg
    temp.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 1,547
Joined 2009
Paid Member
What about using smt jfets, in sot23 ? Linear are supposed to launch their LSJ74 soon, you could mount them on a thin PCB that you glue directly on a big heatsink.... Any thermal problem solved.

I know that Nelson don't like stuff he can't see, but it much easier to have a machine mount 1000's of smt parts....

Yes, I believe it does :)

If we assume that the 588 jfets is for one channel in push-pull setup and unbalanced mode, driving into 8ohm load, then at 1W RMS each jfet will be driving a +/- 0.85mA (1.7mA pp) of load.

And it will be at 8Vpp.

Comparing with THD measurement of B1 buffer, this thousand JFET amp's performance seems to be too good.

The only explaination that I can think of is that the symmetrical output stage help to significantly cancel of the distortion.
Or else there could be some intellegent design in it, which I can't wait to see more details.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.