battery power versus traditional power

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
1) They can be bypassed, filtered, and even actively regulated.

That is true, but even when actively regulated I personally found the battery (Pb-acid) to sound worse than the mains PSU.

2) Very high frequency transformers have very low capacitance

Yes, this is indeed true and I'm sure it's another factor in the results that I've heard.

If one moves away from the toroidal construction though some of this advantage can be brought to mains supplies. This is more applicable at lower currents (for size / efficiency reasons) but split-bobbin transformers will have significantly lower inter-winding capacitance than even a toroid with an electrostatic shield.

But audio is funny stuff, even the impedance of the mains supply is audible on every mains-powered solution I've tried and surprisingly extreme methods of improving this are clearly audible and beneficial.

Andy.

As a former member of The Electrochemical Society, I shouldn't be surprised, but I was. Embarrassing.

Not really - we always assume that batteries are silent, since this is what we are constantly told.

It's the sole reason that I never believe anything I'm told in audio, irrespective of the source, preferring to investigate any ideas presented for myself. Over time you do develop faith in certain sources, if your experience is the same, but you have to compare like with like.

In the same way that I'm unconvinced that feedback in an amp circuit is always a bad thing, I'm not necessarily saying that batteries are always inferior, simply that in my experience, thus far, they are.

Maybe one day someone will demonstrate where I went wrong, I've learnt to be open minded on every issue these days.

Andy.

Having used batteries for my gainclone and various preamps and headamps I can say that I definitely prefer battery sound.On the other hand I haven't heard any super-regulator type circuits that can be expensive and complicated too.However these are for low current use - up to 200ma usually and not suitable for medium to high current use in Class A preamps or power amps.Another advantage of batteries is the fact that you can do away with electrolytics and manage with lower value high quality film caps.I find that electrolytics sounded worse in my power amp supply and these were BG-N caps.I realize that batteries have a lot of noise and technically don't measure well but I go with what my ears tell me.I think tube fans might agree on this principle.

OK, regulators in. Thanks for the comments.

Werner said:

But anyway, with the EU WEEE directives effectively outlawing lead and cadmium from 2006 on and the USA following soon after (?) this discussion gets a decidedly academic taste.
So SLAs will disappear? Hm, methinks I'd better design some flexibility into that charging circuit. Probably a good idea regardless.
Nicad charger ICs are plentiful; maybe we should look at designing in a NiCad solution.

They're practically the same as far as charging circuitry is concerned

Indeed.

It's important to note (for those not familiar) that one can safely charge NiCD with a NiMH charger, but not the other way around, when fast charging.

IIIRC both are the same for charge rates of C/10 or less.

Both are constant current and only differ in terms of end of charge determination; dV/dt=0 for NiMH, dV/dt = negative for NiCD.

Andy.

I think Technics used batteries in some of their High-End preamps.
Can't remember which models but will try to find out.
Yuasa and Panasonic make a good SLA/SLI battery that stand up well, especially in UPS systems. (3) to (5) years.

Been away from the Forum for over a year, good to be back.
Looks like the Forum is lucky to have people like Pass, Curl, Hugh,
Fred, G rolins. etc. A lot of knowledge can be gleaned from them,
so be patient DIY.
I am at the age that I have an "Senior Moment" ever now and then so be patient with me. I know just enough to be dangerious
with the facts.

sdman (Sam)

Re: Cad = Cadmium

ALW said:
NiMH would be better ;)

Depending on the application:

NiCd has long been the preferred technology for rechargeable batteries in portable electronic equipment, and in some ways, NiCd batteries still outperform the newer technologies. NiCd batteries have less capacity than lithium or NiMH types, but their low impedance is attractive in applications that require high current for short periods. Power tools, for example, will continue to use NiCd battery packs indefinitely.

i.e. power amps

http://www.powerpulse.net/powerpulse/archive/aa_012201a1.stm

Tiroth

I didn't mean to imply NiMH was preferable to NiCd technically.

My intial (subtle) point, which I think that most missed, was the Cadmium will be banned under the RoHS and WEEE directives in Europe / UK, making NiMh the only cell technology that's close.

I do find the impedance quote strange though - what is the source.

I think most people who've tried both NiCD and NiMH in something like a digital camera will very quickly realise which chemistry has the lowest impedance and flattest dV/dt over the discharge curve!

Andy.

GRollins said:
Just an idea to mess with your heads...
Solar panels.

Grey

My messy head already thought of that yesterday....it too decided that i had to buy more land to power an amp with solar panels ;)

To get back to the NICD VS. NIMH , i race remote controlled cars, in wich both have been used over the last 15-20 years. NICD besides being banned in the nearest future, has little to offer over NIMH powerwise. The latest NIMH technology offers cells of less than 5 milli-ohm internal resistance.

An issue i havnt seen adressed yet, wich is actually a much bigger deal when talking NICD and NIMH cells than any of the before mentioned problems, is that they need to be matched to work well when coupled. If you dont match them, the weakest cells will wear out very quickly and besides that you cant charge them to their max.

Magura:)

Werner:

"LCAudio have one now"

I've been thinking af that, too. I own the LC Audio active x-over and the Millenium XP power amp from this company, and I'm familiar with Lars' RIAA/MC amp. Only the MC amp is supplied from the light-supply via 3 serial SFH206k diodes. I think it's quite difficult to get enough power to supply a preamp or a x-over. But maybe one should give it a try?:smash:

Magura-

Are you familiar with the article in danish magazine "high fidelity" a few years back about battery supplying a preamp?

diyAudio Retiree
Joined 2002
Is the world ending?

I find myself in agreement both SE and Grey.:bigeyes: What are the chances of that happening again. :whazzat: Solar cells and a light source would be an excellent way to achieve isolation for supplies. What are the chances of that happening again? Finally....... an excuse to build that amp of Nelson's with the light bulbs on top. :wrench::yinyang:

If you will excuse me, I think I will go out in the yard and look up to see if a giant meteor is on a collision course with the earth or some other cataclysm is in motion.:radar:

Could Zyra be near?:(

http://www.plastecs.com/solar_cells.htm

Attachments

• whenworlds_collide.jpg
    whenworlds_collide.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 274
Re: Is the world ending?

Fred Dieckmann said:
....... an excuse to build that amp of Nelson's with the light bulbs on top....
Cool..!

Welcome Fred, you've been expected - take a drink in our free bar
:cool:
Allthough I'm tired of the spelling problem in the title of this thread (I'm a teacher!), I'm very satisfied with the interesse shown to this issue.
Administrators - could the title be corrected?

best regards
Jørn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.