Bass Relfex project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Since we're talking about FAST designs, and I plan on building one......

Bob, do you have anything to report on the Tang Band W5-1611, in either the neodymium or ferrite versions?

I have a pair of the neo's, but I haven't done much with them. I did put them in an ancient pair of "Straight Pipes" to see if they might be a replacement for the RS 1354. They are, but then the price went out of sight. Right now I am working with the A10.2's and the 1611's won't go on the same baffle. Oh, well!

Bob

OMG, I thought 150 Hz XO to bass helpers would be good enough for most FR units .

Curious, what sort of SPLs are you implying here - 95-100 dB as stated by OP?

If you look at the acoustical power [SPL] spectrum of orchestral music, it's greatest in the ~250-500 Hz BW by a considerable amount while R&R and similar tapers off above ~300 Hz. Even jazz needs a > ~250 Hz XO if there's a close mic'd drum kit.

My motto is, if I can see a driver move beyond a minor buzz, it's too much, so this dictates my driver choice and quantity required and/or horn loading for a given app.

GM

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I listen say 95 -100 db.

I do hope that is peaks, because if average, you are well into the hearing damage zone.

If not peaks, then no FR is really going to do the job, and even if you go FAST and take care to choose for extreme SPL (or 2-way with XO in the right place as Scott would like them called -- why i like stretching the acronym to Fullrange ASsisTed, as opposed to the official, because optimally you don't use subwoofers).

On the 2 way bit... An XO between 160-500 Hz, means the woofer is doing 3-4 1/2 octaves, a more equable slpit than the typical cone-dome 2-way.

I think the W8 TBs are OK, but overpriced. For an 8" i like the Visiton B200 (with phase plugs to tame the top), but they are overpriced here in NA too.

For the kind of money you have to spend for most 8s -- reminds me i need to try the lastest Betsys -- i'd much rather get a nice FR + helper woofers for similar investment.

I'd take these over any of the 8s i've tried so far.

195454d1289116224-marks-proto-6-5-woofer-1-silk-tweet-combo-el166-mtm-front.jpg

They'll be even better with the new FF85wk, and they only scratch the possibilities. Even with the power you have they would not achieve 95 dB average levels.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.