Bass Management - TM with Subwoofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
(in the queue is a reread of Toole's book, but as best i recall off the top of my head)

In theory this kill the room mode from floor to ceiling. Toole has an example of a woofer in each corner across the front which kills the mode across the room. Now if you can put a 2nd woofer in the other corner across the front, you will have only left the mode from front-to-back. If you take those 2 column woofers and move them to the middle of the room (front-to-back) you should get some control over that one as well.

dave

Actually I had my EQed corner subwoofer on a stand because it helped smoothing out a dip.

Mode canceling techniques work only in rectangular rooms with rigid walls. This is hardly often the case. However, using a so called DBA (double bass array) showed good results.

Besides Toole's book I recommend this paper for further reading:
http://www.harman.com/EN-US/OurComp...p/Documents/Scientific Publications/13680.pdf

Best, Markus

Ok, most of us are listening to a lot of CDs or other digital formats these days. Let's skip the debate on that for the moment.

But as this question applies to the topic... of what significance is it that I"m going from digital to analog and back to digital before finally expressing my chosen artist in analog? How many times can these gymnastics be expressed without serious loss of content? CD to analog preamp to digital crossover to analog power amp to analog subwoofer amp and paper coned woofer.

(disclaimer.... (even though it's only thursday night, I"ve been drinking like it's friday. Spare me the random assaults. Just picture me the idiot who speaks his mind and then cowers in the corner next to the pool table with his hands over his head)

Last edited:
But as this question applies to the topic... of what significance is it that I"m going from digital to analog and back to digital before finally expressing my chosen artist in analog? How many times can these gymnastics be expressed without serious loss of content? CD to analog preamp to digital crossover to analog power amp to analog subwoofer amp and paper coned woofer.
As this is DIY, why do the D/A after the CDP? Why not go straight into the digital xover in digital and do the volume control in the analogue domain after the D-xover? Then only analogue sources need one A/D/A, same as digital.

My mixed 2ch/HT will be set up this way, 6 triamped speakers and several subs.

The performance improvement wrought int the system by using a well implemented digital xover, especially something like the DEQX is huge, and well worth any 'potential' losses in the extra A/D for analogue sources.

(even though it's only thursday night, I"ve been drinking like it's friday.)
Almost sig worthy.

(in the queue is a reread of Toole's book, but as best i recall off the top of my head)

In theory this kill the room mode from floor to ceiling. Toole has an example of a woofer in each corner across the front which kills the mode across the room. Now if you can put a 2nd woofer in the other corner across the front, you will have only left the mode from front-to-back. If you take those 2 column woofers and move them to the middle of the room (front-to-back) you should get some control over that one as well.

dave
I've been doing final room designs for my combined 2ch/HT room, and have been giving a lot of sub configurations consideration. A floor to ceiling column with a pair of drivers had slipped past, but could be a very effective and powerful configuration. Coincidentally, I was also speaking with someone recently, that if I could ever scratch build a dedicated room, I would put false columns in the corners and the side (and maybe front/rear) wall nodes. Lots of drivers and amps and cost, but a Lotto fantasy config, and I find taking these and working back towards what I can practically achieve interesting and worthwhile. Maybe something I'll work towards, buying an extra pair of drivers when I have the cash free. A dozen Shivas like this would be great, but maybe the floor-ceiling at the front, and a single floor driver at rear corners and midwall node would be sufficient?

Thanks Planet, sounds promising, though I don't think the middle-of-the-room option is a goer. lol
Did some more thinking about this when I was doing something mundane at work today. What about build it into a coffee table if that is near the centre of a given room (discussing concept, not just your space). DIY custom end table, coffee tables and other hidden-in-furniture subs turn up on the HT forums regularly.

Yes Brett, thanx for the clarification.

dave
No worries.

I'd really like to use the cx2310 as a minimalist solution to high passing the mains and crossing over to the subs.

Is it possible to use this product with a single integrated amplifier, two active (plate amps) subwoofers, and two mains? All I own are integrated amps and receivers. One of them, the NAD receiver, has preamp outputs available. But I wasn't actually anticipating using this receiver. What about the use of two integrated amps? How, exactly is the CX2310 inserted in a home system? The user's manual is a bit confusing for the non professional.

I read that purchasing xlr adapters to interface with RCA connections can easily double to cost of the crossover. Since most of us (i am anyway) are going to integrate this into a system and leave it be (rather than set it up and break it down "on the road" as it was designed for) why not just lop off one end of each RCA cable, open up the chassis, and solder them right in? Hour of labor, max. You'd end up with a ponytail of cables dangling out of the back, but for home use it would be no big deal. And low/no cost.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Owning a CX2310, you really need to solder up your own cables, RCA at one end and XLR at the other, joining the cables at the RCA end, not that difficult to do if you have a little vice and magnifying glass and good quality microphone cable isn't too expensive.

I use "Amphenol" RCAs but there are other brands

Pre-amp out -> CX3210 -> Mains (looping back to NAD amps pre-in connection )
-> Subs

peace brainerd, the CX2310 has a fixed 24 dB/octave slope. You probably want more control. Then there's no parametric EQ which you probably also want to have. Then there's the hassle with balanced to unbalanced. Get a decent AVR and subwoofers with adequate controls. If you want more control get a DCX2496.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.