Bass Horn Idea

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi 3GGG,

I tried it today with the lastest downloaded version, and it seems to work. Another alternative is to use Hornresp, and its schematic export function.

Just in case you are having problems with the usage of the worksheet, here is my attempt at an English translation of the "Notice":

"Notice:

This worksheet is designed for horns with two walls parallel, the expansion is therefore only in a plane. (One could also call these horns: radial horns). The bass horn by Mr. Roggero is a horn of this type.

An option permits to use a wall of the listening room as a mirror (element of symmetry), this leads to shorter extreme bass enclosures.

To reduce the file size the worksheet has no entries (in the working cells). To enable calculation all items must be in the worksheet "Horn Calculation": copy line 34 from line 35 up to line 4035.

Usage:
The choice of parameters is made in the sheet "Horn Calculation."

In field B10 select the acoustic bass cutoff frequency, knowing that it is desirable to electrically cut an octave above.

In field B11, enter the throat or motor output diameter in mm.

In B14, we can choose the type of expansion:
- 1 in the case of an exponential,
- 0 for hyperbolic.
- The default value for a horn will be 0.707 (hypex).

In B19, we choose a coefficient that defines the type of horn, round or square:
- 3.14 for a round enclosure, and
- 4 for a square.

In B37, a coefficient can be used if you use the room corners and reflective walls to extend the enclosure:
- 2 if it ignores walls (default case), and
- 1 with the walls.

Choose the settings, let Excel calculate (a few seconds) and view the result on: Half horn profile sheet that draws the profile."

Regards,

Last edited:
With my 4 way horns running I now need to look at under 120 HZ. The idea is for a bass horn built like a bulkhead into the ceiling.

It will look imposing so I may consider building the horn firing down the rear wall and exiting at the base of the floor.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-04-09 at 9.14.50 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-04-09 at 9.14.50 AM.png
    34.9 KB · Views: 277
  • Screen Shot 2013-04-09 at 9.14.34 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-04-09 at 9.14.34 AM.png
    39.6 KB · Views: 267
Any luck on this project? I am thinking, why not build a really huge one on the lawn in the backside of the house, and whenever I need some bass I can just open the backdoor. I could have a small indoor spare sub when quality bass is less important.

Last edited:
I have made some progress. Footing have been dug and poured, lintels installed on both the exterior and interior stud walls and block work has begun.
Fc 16Hz, 18TBX100 drivers will be used.

Attachments

• 16Hz.png
    16Hz.png
    29.4 KB · Views: 209
  • bass behind.png
    bass behind.png
    29.6 KB · Views: 200
  • bass1.JPG
    bass1.JPG
    594.1 KB · Views: 147
  • basshorn.JPG
    basshorn.JPG
    777.7 KB · Views: 158
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.