Bass for my soldier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i ask this question because I dont have any speaker knowledge.

Hi,

i'll state this and state it once only. Don't try to surprise or please your
partner with something you know very little about and they know a lot.

Don't imagine for one minute this forum is full of people who know their stuff,
a more accurate description is people who know a little to a lot more than you.

Your asking for trouble and disappointment. I don't know any hifi geek
(me included) that would readily take to something being foistered on
their system without their knowledge. Only if you have a friend that
knows their onions inside out (and more than your partner) consider
it. But you don't, otherwise you wouldn't be here asking. And here
you will never get a straightforward consistent answer, in fact you
you can count on most answers to be ill-informed conjecture.
(Try working out how much conjecture there is in this post...)

You still haven't mentioned the actual speakers involved. Its not
a minor point. Given the actual speakers and the room involved
it gets complicated and it seems your in no position to discuss it.

The actual system is not described.

IMHO something like a used highly rated valve amplifier would
be good, or a used really good turntable/arm/ cartridge. Nice
to try, and if bought used relatively easy to move on with little
loss if it doesn't suit. I am trying to help, not hinder.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:
Sreten,

a valid point, logical, well thought out.

However i have some of the ugliest art on EARTH hanging about, useless, hideous, even disgusting that i will never part with.

it was a gift from my kids, who love me.

heres a woman who wants to give a gift to her man, army man yet.

I come home from the army, almost died? And my woman has researched, dug about on the web, proboably followed the links in the history of my browser to find this site.

Asks for help to make a gift for me, one that speaks directly to my heart, because she has heard me ranting in my sleep about tapped horns and hbaffle speakers.

if i came home and there were 2 ugly misbegotten bass coffins in the front of my living room i would get down on my knees and bawl.

I always read about wife acceptance factor here, you wanna talk about wife acceptance factor?!

Your a smart guy, design this woman abox for her man and know that you helped her welcome this man home.

Nat,

he might cut the box to pieces and never use it again. Or he will design another box and place yours against the wall like a monument of your love for him.

I am trying to help, not hinder.

rgds, sreten.

I like the idea.

sreten, you could offer a good amount of help with your knowledge here. How about you give this wonderful person a little of your time. I can't think of a better gift for a returning vet. I don't have the knowledge you possess so let's get a little more info about what Hathenry has in place audio wise so you can take it from here? I would like to see this progress. This has touched a soft spot for me.

Hathenry, can you tell us about the system you have, the room it's in and other things you might be able to add? Can you post pictures of your room and measure it for us including things like ceiling height ? These will all help with the project.

It's 9 pm here on the west coast of Canada so where sreten is it's around 5 in the morning on Monday so hopefully he can join us tomorrow.

I hope this comes through for you.

ugly ? He already had them and loved them !!!!!!!!!

It's a simple push pull ported. The trick is how high will it be pushed, how much will it cost, and where will it cross at to something else.

As a subwoofer, highly recommended (like under 250hz), or maybe even part of a 3-way active setup.

Norman

Hi Nathenry,

Those dimensions are fine. For a net internal volume of 170 L you need about H=28" W=24" D=22" (external). Using 3/4" plywood (which usually is about 18mm/0.709") you end up with an internal gross volume of 202 L. From this you have to subtract the volume taken up by the ducts, the speaker and internal bracing, and you'll be close enough. You'll loose a little here and there because of layout on the wood, and volume taken up by internal damping. But this should work fine for you. Using round ducts has the advantage that you can more easily tune the enclosure once its finished, e.g.: a duct length of 23cm will give you (on paper) a response very similar to the factory box/duct.

If you are looking for something a step up from this you might have a look at a tapped horn, e.g.: this one Post #98 (but, it is a lot bigger): http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/170749-15-tapped-horn-rcf-10.html It involves a lot more difficult wood working, nothing for a beginning carpenter.

Regards,

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.