Bass Duties: In serch of dynamics.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Opinions on how to achieve the richest dynamics to be partnered with a horn loaded compression driver with an active crossover around 500hz.

Compression drivers will be either;
Radian 850pb
Beyma cp850nd

Settled on using Acoustic Elegance woofers.

In terms of best dynamics, what is the best you can do with around 200ltrs per cabinet?

multiple smaller drivers?
one larger driver?

As stated in a previous thread, I want to use low Q woofers as I feel these best match the detail and control a compression driver has.

I'm a fan of multiple smallish woofers, like 8" or 6.5". I've built a couple systems that way, with a horn for 800Hz and above; one with 6.5s in sealed cabinets, and one with 8s in a 10ft^3 ported cabinet, with good results in both cases. Each used a more or less square quad array of woofers below the horn. My next attempt will be MTM, and place two 6.5s side by side above the horn and two below the horn, using SEAS W18 Excels.

My feeling is that the smaller woofers match the dynamics of a horn more easily than a single large woofer. Some exceptionally good large woofers are made of course, by JBL, TAD, Altec (GPA) etc., but they aren't cheap even by comparison to multiple small drivers. Because of the large cone, cone breakup will almost inevitably occur at the higher midrange frequencies. Also, many exceptional performing smallish drivers are available these days at very reasonable cost.

If you go the multiple driver route, be aware that the drivers interact if placed closely together; for example, my four 6.5" woofers develop a 3dB peak in response around 460Hz because of the mutual coupling, due to the radiation resistance rising. I simply EQ that flat.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.