Bass driver vs room size

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
how about this for a modest assisted B6 sub? is there something better suited in the same price range? https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/specs/295-434--dayton-audio-ds315-8-specifications.pdf

Resonant Frequency (Fs)24.2 Hz
DC Resistance (Re)6.1 ohms
Voice Coil Inductance (Le)1.43 mH
Mechanical Q (Qms)1.79
Electromagnetic Q (Qes)0.37
Total Q (Qts)0.31
Compliance Equivalent Volume (Vas)5.62 ft.³
Mechanical Compliance of Suspension (Cms)0.44 mm/N
BL Product (BL)15.6 Tm
Diaphragm Mass Inc. Airload (Mms)97.4g
Maximum Linear Excursion (Xmax)5.5 mm
Surface Area of Cone (Sd)506.7 cm²
Materials of Construction

Last edited:
hmmm - I've a pair of PE 15" trap cabinets and 15PZB40 - maybe an Interface B eq box . Make a little 3-way with 6.5" Eminence closed back midrange on a JBL waveguide (?) 0.4* 15pzb40's vas = 45.3 liter. PE says their 15" trap box is 2.75 cubic foot. woofer, vent and horn would eat up some of that space. Can I get a useful vent in it with the horn?

http://i.imgur.com/rJUXa82.jpg

midrange response 6.5" + WG with cap hghpass - would a 2nd order filter be better than
the 12uF cap?

- could go 2-way with DE250 and QSC waveguide

UcRtZtc.gif

Last edited:
My listening area is 15ft 6in long, 11ft 3in wide and 7ft 6in high. I like the sound of big speakers and before I move forward with the bass section of my 3-way (1.4in CD with 10in mid) need more info about drivers vs room size. Btw I'll be using minidsp to bring the room under control.

Larger drivers couple with the room better and I'd happily have a 18in driver but was wondering: Is it better or is there any harm/benefits to have more bass capability than is needed for your room and dial it back? Is there any sort of bass driver/multiple driver total radiating area vs room size correlation?

If you're using more bass than your room, you gotta damage your ear drums and the people around you. If you wanna use those large drivers in the name of recording, accept the fact that they will not sound as good as expected. In recording, everything should be balance.

File: 18FH500.bb6
-----------------------------------------
Driver Properties
Name: 18FH500
Type: Standard one-way driver
Company: Faital Pro
No. of Drivers = 1
Fs = 30 Hz
Qms = 12.5
Vas = 374.8 liters
Cms = 0.205 mm/N
Mms = 137.1 g
Rms = 2.068 kg/s
Xmax = 9.25 mm
Xmech = 13.88 mm
P-Dia = 380 mm
Sd = 1134 sq.cm
P-Vd = 1.049 liters
Qes = 0.36
Re = 5.1 ohms
Le = 1.35 mH
Z = 8 ohms
BL = 19.14 Tm
Pe = 600 watts
Qts = 0.35
no = 2.71 %
1-W SPL = 96.48 dB
2.83-V SPL = 98.43 dB
Box Properties
Name:
Type: Vented Box w/ Active HP Filter
Shape: Prism, square
Vb = 7 cu.ft
Fb = 27 Hz
QL = 5.828
F3 = 26.93 Hz
Fill = minimal
No. of Vents = 3
Vent shape = round
Vent ends = one flush
Dv = 4 in
Lv = 15.44 in
Active 12 dB/oct. HP Filter
Fx = 27 Hz
Qx = 2

I did the ports with for a standard 4" (100mm) PVC pipe, others are possible.

Last edited:
Is there any sort of bass driver/multiple driver total radiating area vs room size correlation?

Yes, when the bass horn's mouth area [or both combined if stereo] IS the sound wall. For drivers, you're ~ limited to a 1 WL max spacing of the XO point, so make the XO point low for largest flat area array; otherwise let peak SPL at vanishingly low distortion set the driver choice, manifold array design parameters.

GM

That is very helpful!!!! I was trying to figure out what the catch was with the BMS drivers.

Only being usable below 300hz shouldn't be an issue. The expected 89-91db could be overcome with amp power and creative dsp. However pumping in more power means more distortion even when playing at lower levels.

The hunt for a better 12in continues

The upside of the BMS is that it has shorting rings, for lower harmonic distortion. This is very apparent in a box that is not horn loaded. A quality horn load will limit harmonics via bandpass. The BMS will sound noticeably cleaner in both the subs, and in the vocals, than those drivers without the shorting rings. The vocals bit is because the driver will be more sensitive in the band outside of which you are using it, and thus the harmonics will be too.

The BMS 12S330 has too low of a Qts to properly vent (for deep bass).

I don't understand this comment. I also see some pushback on it in other comments.

It might just be the "deep bass" portion. Are you talking about getting down to 10hz or 20hz? Because the OP is wanting to get to 40hz. It seems to me that this driver is easily going to do this. What am I missing? I don't want to say you are wrong, only want to make sure we are all discussing the same thing.

So how does this all work?
I'm getting funny numbers.

The Qts of my speaker is .30 Which is good I think.
So 0.30^2 = 0.090
Fs isn't given.
Fr is, and that is 18Hz so 18^3=5832.
Vas is 151dm^3
voice coil length of 18mm.
I'm not really sure how to calculate when
I don't have the specific numbers though.

Then the dreaded Qms of a high 8.80???
Ouch.

Bummer.

And I'm still trying to follow along but
it way over my head. :(

So when we have two drivers in push-push, do we
divide or multiply the resulting calculations by 2?

The numbers are for the Eton 581/50 HEX driver
for living spaces. I don't see much about them
nor much written up.

cheers,

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
So how does this all work?

For sealed & reflex boxes you only need Qts, Vas, and Fs

Then the dreaded Qms of a high 8.80???

Makes little difference unless you ar eusing a current amp.

So when we have two drivers in push-push, do we
divide or multiply the resulting calculations by 2?

2 drivers volume increases by 2, ports x2. Some numbers double, some halve, some stay the same.

A 55 litre vented box looks good. Tuning depending on how much room gain you have.

dave

Attachments

• eton-581-50-hex-sims.gif
    eton-581-50-hex-sims.gif
    32 KB · Views: 181
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.