Basket, magnet & frame damping: How to?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey LineArray

Great idea and I am sure it works a treat. I am currently building an open baffle system where the 4x 12in woofers are mounted in a similar way. IN my case I built 2 concrete block columns then mounted the drivers in a MDF cradle, which then attaches to the column but is slightly de-coupled by felt pads. The actual baffle does not touch either the column or the cradle. The drivers shown in the pics I attached earlier in this tread sit on top of the columns.

The only thing we need to be careful of with magnet mounting is to make sure the rear vent on some woofers is not covered, this is rare however and most unusual on mids. In your case the cold mass of the marble would help wick away some heat from the drivers, which is hardly an issue in your application but could help with bass drivers that are being pushed to their thermal limits.

I will try to grab a pic tomorrow and post it.

Elbert that bitumen stuff is very good, some neoprene or rubber non-slip matting added over the top of it might work even better still as it will stop reflections as well as damping the resonances from the basket.

Hi Zero One,

you are right, thermal limit is not an issue with the
current system. The FR125s is vented behind the spider but
not through the pole piece. Anyway mechanical limits are
the limiting parameter depending on subwoofer and XO frequency chosen.

I am v e r y curious about your pics, hope you find and post them.

Regards
Oliver

Hi LineArray

Here is a pic of the woofer mounting, note the following.

The woofer is glued by the magnet into the assembly and mounted at the front also, it is for all intents and purposes a homogenous construction.

The assembly is isolated from the concrete block column by heavy felt pads with just enough give to absorb vibration without driving it into the column.

Attachments

• _mg_1779.jpg
    _mg_1779.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 255
Just for a little perspective here is a pic of how the top baffle locates and with one of the bass baffle wings leaning against the structure.

Obviously these are very large speakers, fortunately I have my own dedicated listening room so WAF is not a problem.

Attachments

• _mg_1783.jpg
    _mg_1783.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 224
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.