• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Basic 12AU7 heatrr question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I am very new to tubes and am a little confused about the different possibilities for connecting the heater. I am using a 12V DC supply. Do I just connect +12V to pin 4, ground pin 5 and leave pin 9 alone?

Also, how sensitive is he heater to the value of the input voltage? The supply I am planning on using is a wall-outlet 12V DC transformer. However, I've measired it to be about 17V DC. Is this an issue?

Thanks in advance.

Hey,
Here's a cheap easy fix. 12.6V CT 3.0A Chassis-Mount Transformer with Leads - RadioShack.com with NTE NEV1500M25 - CAP-1500MFD 25V RADIAL Model:NTE NEV1500M25| Catalog #: 55047226 The transformer with a simple bridge rectifier, (four diodes) and one cap to keep up the voltage and remove most of the residual AC. You will end up pretty close to 12 volts. You might have a Little AC but it won't be much and not enough to hear. Here's a link for rectifier designs, http://www.hammondmfg.com/pdf/5c007.pdf . I would install the parts and disconnect the high voltage. That way you just energize the heaters to check the voltage. Transistor based regulators are great but if the current draw is significantly less than transformer is capable of delivering it isn't necessary. IMHO.

My 2 cents

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.