base vs. bass

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think they should rename the fish the original old english name "bærs". Since "bass" (adj (of things low)) is from the late 14th century and "bass" (noun (the fish)) is from the early 15th century. Then change "base" (Verb (to place on a foundation)) and "base" (Noun (bottom, foundation, pedestal)) and "base" (Adj. (low, of little height) to the original old french "Bas".

problem solved. :D

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I'm no doubt one of the offenders :blush: I do try but there is some sort of disconnect in my brain sometimes and even though I know the correct words to use, sometimes something else comes out of the keyboard ;)

Their they're and there are ones I often type incorrectly even though I know when to use each. Eg they're likely to be over there with their dogs.

I'm also terrible with double letters, often using them when I shouldn't and not when I should. Thank goodness for the spell checker in firefox ;) hear and here as well. I'm guessing your last post Scott was very deliberate in its (that's another one its and it's) mistakes ;) funnily enough it really bugged me, and usually I don't give a toss about that sort of thing!!

BTW I liked your fishing post Spiro :) the first thing that popped into my head when reading the first post in the thread was the fish! ;)

Tony.

Can we also deal with overuse of smilies too? (Oops, a good example of tautology: 'also' and 'too' in the same sentence).

Ah yes, from the department of redundancy department. :)

I find them helpful in adding character to the post. Helps to cut down on misunderstandings. I often read something I wrote and wonder if my joking style has been read differently than I intended so a little one of these :D or :) can go a long way.

BTW I liked your fishing post Spiro :) the first thing that popped into my head when reading the first post in the thread was the fish! ;)

Tony.

...hah...thats funny.

Ah yes, from the department of redundancy department. :)

I find them helpful in adding character to the post. Helps to cut down on misunderstandings. I often read something I wrote and wonder if my joking style has been read differently than I intended so a little one of these :D or :) can go a long way.

what would be cool is if there was a "thumbs up" button here. That way when someone says something you like...you can just thumbupthem (sounds bad)...instead of smilies and such.

Like this for example...

Attachments

• kid-middle-finger.jpg
    kid-middle-finger.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 86
FLOCCINAUCINIHILIPILIFICATION thread.. maybe?

I'm also terrible with double letters, often using them when I shouldn't and not when I should. Thank goodness for the spell checker in firefox ;) hear and here as well. I'm guessing your last post Scott was very deliberate in its (that's another one its and it's) mistakes ;) funnily enough it really bugged me, and usually I don't give a toss about that sort of thing!!

Tony.

Misisipi?? bokeper?? LAPAROHYSTEROSALPINGOOOPHORECTOMY?? Then there's
LLANFAIRPWLLGWYNGYLLGOGERYCHWYRNDROBWLLLLANTYSILIOGOGOGOCH... anyone ?? :D;)

Last edited:
...hah...thats funny.

what would be cool is if there was a "thumbs up" button here. That way when someone says something you like...you can just thumbupthem (sounds bad)...instead of smilies and such.

Like this for example...

We used to have a "Thanks" system for a short while on this forum.

A thread "Down With Thanks" put a stop to it - the first page or so of posts received thousands of thanks. Ironic, I suppose.

WRT the original topic, I've thought before now of buying up a large supply of reasonably heavy (hardback) dictionaries.
Anyone that I see on a regular basis that messes up some basic spelling gets a dictionary to the face. Repeatedly, if necessary, though I suspect they'd get the message soon enough.

Then I realised that I'd have to buy the dictionaries and thought I could spend the money better elsewhere.

Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.